32-bit or 64 bit Reaper?

dumbass

I have Windows 8 and don't which one to use. I read up on it a bit but am confused as to what a plug-in even is. What to do.

It's about not knowing which Reaper to get, the 32-bit or the 64-bit, and not knowing what a plug-in is, like I said.

Which bit version you get is said to be based on what plug-ins you use, and I don't know what plug-ins are so I'd like to know.

If you have 64bit Windows you can use 64 or 32Bit Reaper. If Windows is 32Bit you can only install 32bit Reaper.

Regarding the plugins you use, whatever they may be, check to see if there is a 64Bit option to download them. The majority of 32Bit plugins should work OK on 64Bit Windows and Reaper but.....some just wont, period.

It really is an impossible question to give a correct answer to.

What is your operating system? If you're using 32 bit OS, use 32 bit Reaper, if you're using a 64 bit OS, use 64 bit Reaper...

Most 32 bit plug-ins can be bridged, so that shouldn't be a constraint, but if you're using other 32 bit stuff that won't play then that might be, but I doubt you're that far up the curve yet....

Read this

Like others have said, if you are using a 32 bit version of windows, you hqbe to use the 32 bit version of reaper. If you have the 64 bit version of windows, use the 64 bit version of reaper. The plugins have nothing to do with that. Once you have installed the correct version of reaper for your situation, once you want to add more plugins, you download the plugins that match the version of reaper you are running. (32 or 64 bit)

All of it is determined by the operating system, are you running windows 8 32bit or windows 8 64 bit? Figure that out and just match all the software to that.

Been a Reaper user for over a year and recently migrated to 64-bit Reaper on Windows 7 after using 32-bit Reaper.

Mainly, if you run 64-bit Reaper, it will take better advantage of a modern operating system. That means you might see faster file load times, better memory usage, faster render times - basically overall 'snappier' response in Reaper.

Others have mentioned the plugin issues. Many/most plugins are available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. If you do run 64-bit Reaper, 64-bit plugins will similarly take better advantage of the operating system. If a plugin is only available in 32-bit, 64-bit Reaper is pretty good about running them in what is called a 'bridged' mode. Bear in mind there are some 32-bit that simply cause problems in 64-bit Reaper so don't get frustrated if you find one.

If you have any hesitation about running 64-bit Reaper or feel like 32-bit/64-bit issues will cause you issues you just don't want to deal with - stick with 32-bit Reaper. No point impacting your flow and musical intentions just for a little bit more efficiency.

The 64 bit computers can run both 32bit programs and 64 bit programs. 32 bit computers cannot run 64 bit programs, because the bit sizes are fundamentally different. Latest Laptops with pre-installed Windows are usually x64 i.e. 64 Bit, old Desktops and Laptops could be having Windows x86 which means 32 bit.

When 64 bit processors compatible with the x86 architecture were introduced, they were referred to as x86-64. x86-32 (and x86-16) were used for the 32 (and 16) bit versions. This was eventually shortened to x64 for 64 bit and x86 alone refers to a 32 bit processor. The 32 bit processors are designed to handle a limited amount of physical memory maximum of 4GB but 64 bit can handle high memory utilizing 8,16 and some even32 GB.

Depending on what you consider an "old" laptop, since this thread is from 4 years ago...

I assume he got it figured out or gave up a long time ago.

Back