1 second delay using live effects

spyglass67

Everytime I use the record monitor to hear the effects as I am playing live,There is a 1 second delay from what I am playing to the speakers,Why??

There's latency. The bigger the buffer, the better quality of playback but the greater latency. Its in Preferences I think if you want to change the buffer size.

Unless you have a zero-latency hardware monitoring option like some interfaces have, there will always been latency.

I use reaper for live effects all the time, so believe me, I feel your pain.

Seafroggy's got the high points. Decrease your buffer size, and you'll have less latency (though you'll tend to have more problems with skips and glitches if your computer can't keep up.)
Get an interface with hardware monitoring for even less latency (and it's less work for your computer, so you'll get fewer hiccups.)

Another trick that I've found in reaper is that if a track isn't armed for recording, Reaper buffers it on playback to save cycles. If your channel is going through any other tracks to pick up effects, you'll want to arm those ones are armed.

Vomit Steve even with the Track armed I'm still hearing a delay.As for the buffer setting I don't even know what to set it for as there are 2 sets of numbers used under preferences.Its probably the sound card maybee or my computer preferences,Power Ram Ect.

Back