Will Adobe Audition cs6 work with Tascam US 1800?

jaydog express

Hey folks,

I'm a newbie here and a home recordist used to working simple band projects with Adobe Audition and Tascam US 122.

I recently bought a Tascam US 1800 so I could finally have 8 XLR simultaneous inputs through USB.

However it came with this Cubase LE5 that seems way complicated for me. Adobe has been very kind to me for 6 years.

Do any of you wisemen know if I can use an Adobe Audition just as effectively? Are they compatible?

Any experiences or advice would be severly appreciated.

Thank you, JAYDOG, newbie here on the forum.

I've not tried the US1800 specifically but I've used other Tascam interfaces/drivers with both Cool Edit and Audition with no problems and good reliability. Audition can use pretty well any interface with conventional MME or ASIO drivers. (I only hedge with "pretty well" because I haven't personally tried every interface! However, I've yet to find one that doesn't work.)

As an aside, I upgraded from AA3.01 to AA CS6 after trying it for a few days. This latest version is great and highly recommended (at least by me!).

THANK you BOBBSY,

I am relieved that my familiar ADOBE works with this unit. I have test recorded an old beatle tune on guitar and vocal. the input busses are much easier than cubase. HOWEVER, I have another problem now. As I playback, it rolls, sounds good, then at random it starts to 'hiccup' or stutter with a clicking sound, then continues to play. Have you any idea what may cause such a disturbance?

Well, the good news is that, from Adobe at least, the trial versions are identical to the ones you buy, except for the time limitation.

That sort of clicking/stuttering is generally one of two causes: either your computer processor running out of capacity or your hard drive not being capable of enough throughput--and the processor side is the most likely issue.

A few things to do:

Shut down everything unnecessary running in background, with special emphasis on networking, wifi and anti virus software. If you get really keen, do a Google search on "optimising computer for audio" for your operating system. There are lots of advice sites and you'll get some good ideas. A programme like "EnditAll" can help with this.

Download and install the latest drivers for whatever sound interface you're using.

If you have a choice, use ASIO drivers rather than MME. If your interface is MME only, download and install ASIO4ALL (free) and select that.

In the Audition Edit/Preferences/Audio Hardware screen, play with the latency setting. Higher latency equals more reliable playback (but more delay when recording--which is why direct hardware monitoring on an interface is a good thing. If you can set to ASIO under Device Class, you may have to adjust the latency in the control panel for your interface.

In the longer term, for audio use, it helps a lot to use 2 different hard disk drives--one with the operating system and your DAW software, and the other for the track data. An external drive (USB or Firewire) works well for the tracks but make sure the USB bus isn't being shared with other things.

FYI, my laptop is 4 years old now and I can regularly playback 24-32 tracks. It falls apart quickly if I load up too many real time effects but there are ways around this too.

Hope this helps.

That is absolutely helpful

that's VERY generous of you to explain that. Thank you. I'm going to take it step by step as you've written. I'm an old home recording hack from the 4-track reel days and need to learn about these computer issues as well. I'm anxious to get back in the recording world. I'll post the results in case it helps someone else.

cheers!

laptop not running program still

Hello,

I have thrown in the towel on this particular laptop. My guitar player is giving me a PC with Windows XP with alot more capacity so I hope that will help me get back on the saddle.

However, Before I buy the Adobe CS6, I have a few questions if anyone has the time to answer:

1)The transport will not run now on this laptop. In either window. I'm trying now just to extract file from CD to edit it, and open existing files to work on them. I'm hoping that is also the lack of capacity. It did work last week although with skips and clicks.

2) I used ADOBE 1.5 for years with no problems on another machine ( a dell laptop with centrino) and it was so easy to use. How in your opinion does the CS6 compare, since I cannot know until I get a new machine. I am using the trial version but haven't been able to do anything but 1 song test with skips, and many features not working.

I just want to know if this software indeed is the one to invest in, or, because of my lack of experience, find an earlier version of ADOBE AUDITION.

Thank you if anyone can advise me.

JAYDOG EXPRESS in San Francisco

You can probably make it work without the Tascam just by going into the Preferences menu and telling Audition to use the inbuilt sound card on your computer. If I want to do a quick edit without moving into my studio, I often work that way.

As for CS6, you can download a 28 day trial with full features from the Adobe site--that's probably your best bet. If you're used to AA1.5 you'll find that Audition has changed a lot over the intervening versions. I personally like the new way--but it might come as a culture shock if you're used to 1.5!

I've been struggling to align a re-recording dialog for this video I shot at school and a friend suggested I try the new Audition CS6 from Adobe with this new ADR tool. I have to say it's made my life so much easier.

Back