Why is CEP crashing???

dialtone

This happened after I "Opened a waveform" (.MP3) from my desktop and inserted it into multitrack. After it rebooted, it said "CE crashed due to sound drivers, to prevent this from happening again we will turn them off". Problem is that it keeps on crashing when playing the MP3. When I don't have the MP3 in multitrack than it doesn't crash. But I really would like to play this MP3, they are my sequenced drums from Reason 3.0. I imagine that I should be able to do this. Thanks ahead of time for any advice.

UPDATE: I just opened a new session and upon trying to record it crashed, if I need to reinstall CEP, than is there any way to save my current song I am working on?

Last edited:
dialtone said:
This happened after I "Opened a waveform" (.MP3) from my desktop and inserted it into multitrack. After it rebooted, it said "CE crashed due to sound drivers, to prevent this from happening again we will turn them off". Problem is that it keeps on crashing when playing the MP3. When I don't have the MP3 in multitrack than it doesn't crash. But I really would like to play this MP3, they are my sequenced drums from Reason 3.0. I imagine that I should be able to do this. Thanks ahead of time for any advice.

UPDATE: I just opened a new session and upon trying to record it crashed, if I need to reinstall CEP, than is there any way to save my current song I am working on?

why are you using MP3 format for YOUR OWN GREAT music?
Use WAVE!...PLEASE!
MP3 should stay in your I-pod!..not in your music!..(unless you need to send it to a site or something)

Anyways...sorry...

Cool Edit should be able to handle this file, but..there could be something kookey spookey about your particular file (?)...or something very wrong with the software, as you suggest...cards/drivers could be crook too!!...geesh!!

It also sounds like this MP3 is already saved on your desktop, so you ain't gunna lose it..don't worry.
Find your 'song' in the folder you designated as your save folder, and copy it into another part of the drive; you can get CE to look at this 'track file' and it's associated waves once it has been re-installed.
Just re-install CE...(after you completely remove the old set-up)

Now...
Can u open this MP3 in a media player?
Could you then save it as a proper file, then try giving it to cool edit?
Will your cool edit play any other MP3's??
Just some things to check, then come back here and tell us what you found.
Regards,
Spit.

ps...r u using soundblasters?

Use wave? OK, that may of been the first thing i have been doing wrong. But in my document folder it has a copy of all MP3s extentions and in the window to the right in CE, it is filled with .MP3's also, though the icon next to the waves is a wave symbol. So as of now, I am trying to rename all my file's to read there time stamp. So when I reinstall CE I can open up a waveform and put these back in, and with the new timestamp, I will know were these go. But it keeps crashing and I cannot keep changes. Is there a more efficient way?

I am guessing something is wrong with my video and sound drivers. Every so often my monitor goes blank and says "please check PC display settings", If I restart I get back my screen. Also after I did a system recovery it wouldnt even list a soundcard in my PC. I installed drivers and now it is working, but after CE crashed the first time it listed my audio drivers as the issue and said CE would turn them off,

Last edited:
Back