when track one records onto track two

dobro

Does this sound like you?

"I recorded track one (music) in the multi-track. Then when I tried to record track two as a separate vocal track, I found that it also recorded the music with it at the same time. This keeps happening!! What can I do?"

Well, you're not alone. If you're using a standard windows soundcard (essentially, ANY Soundblaster, SBLive or compatible, Crystal Audio, ESS, Soundmax, or even some other cards from Turtle Beach) the remedy is changing the input/output settings in your Windows Mixer. Here's how...

In any version of Windows that you have:
- Dbl-click on the yellow (or grey) speaker icon located on the lower right
hand corner of your screen.
- Select Options, Properties.
- In the "Adjust Volume for" area, select Recording.
- This will show you all the devices you can record from, in the
"Show the following volume controls" window.
- Make sure all the devices have a check mark in them.
- Click on OK.
- At the bottom of each recording device, there is a check box
with "Select" to the right of it. Use this to select the recording
device that you want. (if you're recording from Line In, choose LINE. If you're recording from Mic In, choose MIC, etc)
- Make sure the recording Volume is at least half way up.
- Minimize the "Recording Control" window.
- You are ready to record.

Now, if you still have bleed, it's possible that you've either selected something like 'WAVE' for your input device, or perhaps 'Mixed Output' or 'What You Hear'. The latter settings essentially lump ALL audio fed through the soundcard into Adobe Audition. The 'Wave' setting will do exactly what is described above - cause the playback track to be recorded with the overdub track.

If you're using a more pro-level card, chances are it has it's own mixer panel (and thus, is not controlled by the Windows Mixer).

Some cards that have their own mixers: Midiman/M-Audio (Delta series, Audiophile, etc), Echo (Layla, Mona, Gina, etc), Aardvark, Lynx, Frontier Designs, MOTU (828, 2408, etc)...

I'm posting here solely so that my name will be listed as the last one in this thread for a bit .... HA!!

this did not work for me.

is there any other way to remedy the problem?

i have a new dell with a soundmax integrated soundcard, and the problem , despite following teh directions in your post, still persists

i am getting an emu1820 soon, but this has never happened before with my prior stock soundcards

thanks for the hlp.

yeah dude im not sure theres a way you can prevent bleeding from track to track on cool edit pro while listening to the track you dont want to get blead i hope im wrong though

you may be able to work around it...

i got the bleed to stop, but the vocalist i was recording insisted on hearing the guitar track he was singing to without headphones. Hence, there is light music in the vocal track.

I was living with it at first, as i figured when it was mixed in witht he guitar track, it would fit in fine. But...now that i tweaked and eq'd the guitar track, the music bleed on the vocal track caused an annoying "ringing" sound since it now was different than the guitar track.

Common logic was to dictate using a gate, but the results were less than enthusiastic. Even when i fiddled enough to get great gate settings, it was still in the vocal track, now the ringing was everytime he sang...it was like someone was playing out-of-tune windchimes...ruining an otherwise half decent pre demo i had going...

i then changed tack and went for the NR in cool edit. I tried sampling 10 secs of guitar bleed out front before the singing, then applying it, but it made a "bubbly effect on the voice" I tried keeping only the noise by sampling the voice, but it still bubbled.

then someone told me not to try to push noise down anyfurther than 10 or 15db....standard setting is 40db! So...i sampled ten secs of guitar bleed, applied it to whole vocal track, but only reduced it 10 or 15db. It was GREAT and really improved the signal to noise ratio. I then did it like two more times, sampling the new, lower volume guitar bleed and applying it 10 db at a time to the whole vocal track. Pushed it down so far you could barely hear it...then the gate worked wonders. It really cleaned it up.

Just remember to only push the bleed down 10 db at a time and it might work the same magic for you, although i was only dealing with acoustic guitar bleed...i dont know what other instrument bleed would have as good an effect...try it, what ya got to lose.

Thanks. Dobro.

That's the answer I have been scouring the Internet for. After several days of looking I stumbled onto this forum and found the answers right her on your post. I just tried your suggestion and it works fine. I notice though that there is still a faint hardly unoticable bleed into the vocal track.

My problem now is getting the hiss/ground out of the earpphone. It does not affect the recording but can be a bit distracting to the vocalist.

Cheers!

Back