Whats the difference between Cubase and Protools?

anppilot

Never Act Like U Know All
Im not trying to sound ignorant, but what is the difference between Protools and Cubase VST?
I have heard alot about Protools, but have never used it.
I dont know if this is a repeat question, I imagine that it is, but I have used Cubase in my studio for years and I am having alot of clients asking me if I'll ever set up a Protools workstation in the studio here.

Thanks

Crystal Blue Productions
Mike owner/engineer/producer

Well, while I don't use Cubase much at all, I do know that it is nice software, however it doesn't compare to the power of a complete full-blown pro tools rig. Pro tools is what real professionals use, everyone uses them in post production, most people even track with it now. Lenny Kravits last album '5' was done completely on pro tools, even though he is an analog guy. If you want to see what all the hype is about, you have a few options. First you can check out digidesign.com they are offereing a free version of protools right now. I know it is scaled back a bit, but it isn't bad at all to get the feeling of Protools.
You could buy a Digi 001, that seems to be the new soundcard of choice anyway. Or you could call up the people/visit of the website of sweetwater music. i think there number is 1800 sweetwater or http://www.sweetwater.com talk to Brian Lonely. He will for sure have tons of answers. I am curious though, why did you post this in the CEP forum?
MIKE

To be honest, I just got off of work after 30 hours straight, and being half dazed and unable to sleep, I saw the "pro" in the Cool Edit Pro Forum and thought it was "Pro Tools". Funny how the mind acts when your tired.

What pissed me off was, when I checked if anyone replied to this today, I couldn't find a ProTools forum!!! Imagine that !!! Cause I thought I posted it in a Protools forum. I guess I need to scale back on the over time! But working 5-30 hours a day brings me an extra $1000 a week, after taxes.

But, its kinda har to when my wife tells me "as long as you put half of your overtime in the savings, I dont care what you do with the rest".

Thats how I've wound up with the studio I have today.

Later,
Mike

Let me tell you !!!

As long as airlines keep flying certain OLD sircraft, I will always have 30 hour days !!! lol It sux to go in at 6 A.M., and leave the next day at 12 Noon.

But the money is nice

Later,
Mike

the "real" pro tools is a $10,000 software hardware hybird of unparreled power because it uses special dsp plug ins.the host based(cpu based) version that comes with the 001 uses rtas to do effects the same as vst would.cubase can be used with the pro tools hardware to accentuate pro tools midi limits.

pro tools is an audio program with midi tacked on.cubase is a midi program with audio tacked on.
if you get a 001 youll have the best audio software thats seamlessly integrated into its hardware at an unbeatable price.

cubase 5,0 will give you a lot more oomph than pt le.it just has so much more.it doesnt have the same quality mix eq's or automation that pt has and pt is generally better for audio and cubase better for midi.i prfer cubase 5.0 to the feature crippled pt le, but for what you get with a 001 at that price i bought it and it works great.

pro tools has their own forum called the user conference,
http://www.digidesign.com
most people with the full blown pro tools rigs use logiv audio if they need more midi stuff btw.

also look into nuendo, its steinbergs abswer to pro tools and you dont need any dsp cards to use it.

Back