is there a way to bring vocals forward and backwards?

faabud

I mean to bring vocals forward by making them shine through more. While backwards meaning to blend in withe beat more. I use Cool Edit mainly for rap vocals... Also whats some good Reverb/Echo plugins as well as some compressors that add warmth.

Fair enough. I think it's really important how you record your vocals too. I close-mic mine, because I want that upfront sound, too. Additionally, tonight I tried propping a sheet of glass up behind the mic while I was tracking, and it changed the sound that got recorded. Slightly more defined, although no more attractive, really. But more defined, if that's what you want. Hey, is a sheet of glass expensive?

Try to set the predelay on your reverb from about 60 to 200ms. Slowly change the parameter untill you get what you want.
The dry sound will make the vocals sound foward and the wet part will help it blend into the beat.

Please disregard what I said earlier about the sheet of glass, or take it with a grain of salt, or use the glass for your windows. I tried it again tonight, and this time, instead of better definition, it just sounded like a tiny bit of phase due to the reflection back to the mic. Sigh...I thought I was onto something.

Or is it delay? In any event, it doesn't sound so good on the tracks I did tonight.

Back