Run mix through external effects

relaxandreflect

I have been using the Sonic Maximizer plugin, but now have the real thing. I would like to run my entire mix out to the Maximizer, then back into the computer. I can't find out how to do this. I think I may be searching for the wrong terms. Help.

I might be missing something here but theoretically it should be pretty easy. Run cables from audio card output to maximizer input, cables from maximizer output to audio card input, adjust maximizer to taste

That about covers it. But the plugin really isn't any different than the unit. Both are pretty worthless unless your mixes are super muddy. And if that's the case, you need to fix the sound of what you are recording instead of waiting until the very end.

Good point. I will scratch that. I forgot to mention that I am using a Firestudio Project. I tried hooking the BBE into the effects loop of the FS. Just in case I want to try other effects, how would I set this up in Audition 3? Would I be able to use the bus channels somehow?

...Just in case I want to try other effects, how would I set this up in Audition 3? Would I be able to use the bus channels somehow?

On your playback tract, (the one you want to add effects to) set the output routing to go direct to the firewire out, so it goes to your FS. Perhaps channels 1 and 2 if it is stereo. The FS analog out can feed the effects box. The returns from your effects box may need to be plugged into the preamp ins 3 and 4 on the front of the FS to avoid a feedback loop. You probably won't need any preamp gain if the signal is strong enough.

Then create a new software track, (stereo), set the input to firewire in 3 and 4. Arm that track and record the incoming (returning) signal. When done, slide the track left to correct any latency if needed.

Last edited:
Back