Purchasing Cool Edit Pro?

Cool Edit Pro hasn't been a thing since 2003. It's now called Adobe Audition, and it's changed quite a bit from the Cool Edit Pro days. Looks like they've gone to a subscription service now, so you have to pay for it. $15 per month seems silly for such a basic program.

I'd suggest giving Reaper a try...the fully functional demo is free to try and never expires. $60 for a proper license that'll carry you through 2 full versions (2-4 years, I'd say).

Cool Edit Pro hasn't been a thing since 2003. It's now called Adobe Audition, and it's changed quite a bit from the Cool Edit Pro days. Looks like they've gone to a subscription service now, so you have to pay for it. $15 per month seems silly for such a basic program.

I'd suggest giving Reaper a try...the fully functional demo is free to try and never expires. $60 for a proper license that'll carry you through 2 full versions (2-4 years, I'd say).

Thanks very much for that!

When you say Reaper " never expires " what does that actually mean?

Can you keep using it fully functional and keep saving the edited files?

$60 is reasonable also so that might be the way to go!

I also heard about ' Audacity ', are you familiar with it, how does it compare to Reaper?

The Adobe Audition seems quite expensive I discovered?

Thanks again

Audacity can't do MIDI.

Reaper is a fully-fledged DAW program. The free trial is uncrippled-- it's the same as the licensed program-- and the trial never stops working, it just displays a "nag screen" on startup notifying you that it isn't free, and prompting you for a license code (but you can continue using it without one). The license is very affordable.

Audacity can't do MIDI.

Reaper is a fully-fledged DAW program. The free trial is uncrippled-- it's the same as the licensed program-- and the trial never stops working, it just displays a "nag screen" on startup notifying you that it isn't free, and prompting you for a license code (but you can continue using it without one). The license is very affordable.
Again my sincere thanks!

I have CUBASE & Sibelius for MIDI but I might take a quick look at Reaper!

Many thanks again to all!

Although I concur that Reaper is the way to go, a couple of points...

Although you can use it forever if you put up with a nag screen, Reaper is NOT free and the only "right" thing to do is to pay if you continue to use it. At $60US, it's amazing value for money.

I'm sorry to say that Audition is actually $20 on subscription...but I take issue with the "such a simple programme" comments. It's evolved in leaps and bounds since the Cool Edit days and, as an audio editor, it's probably the best in the world. It's full of features I use all the time in sound design. All it doesn't do is MIDI (since it's designed for audio editing, not music creation). The other thing I'd say is that, if you have need of things like Photoshop or video editing, the price for the entire Creative Cloud package is much more competitive than for a single app like Audition.

Basically just seeing what else is out there!

Thanks to all!

Cool, that's a good reason. :) I personally don't have the drive to learn different programs. I started on Cubase and have stayed with it through several upgrades. I tried Sonar and Reaper, but always find myself coming back to Cubase because it is familiar to me.

A lot of people love Reaper. It's cheap. The developer seems to be on top of bugs. Demo license is based on the honor system (so be sure to pay for it if you continue to use it!!) It's got a big fan base here, but not many threads in the Reaper forum, probably because it just works.

...but I take issue with the "such a simple programme" comments.

Fair enough, I was talking out of my ass there. I actually haven't used it since the Cool Edit Pro days. I was definitely taken aback at the subscription model though. If I had to shell out $20 every month for using Reaper over the last 10 years, I would have paid close to $2500 for it by now!

Back