Point To Point Lead Vocal Removal

StGeorge

Hey, vocal enthusiasts & studio geeks of all talent levels,

I'm new to using Cool Edit Pro 2.0, but I'm having some real success in diminishing and removing lead vocals on some original recordings. But, as you know, whatever is center mixed near the lead vocal also suffers being diminished and/or loss of integrity. What I haven't found as yet in this software (if it exists) is a way to remove or diminish the center mixed lead vocal from a certain point to another. i.e. - Remove certain segments of the vocal where there is little or no guitar or other instrument comping near that lead. That would be a cool feature. :cool:

Any and all input or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob ;)

Well, you can do what you want if you're willing to do a bit of manual intervention. Just highlight the sections you want to do vocal removal on and run the process. It'll only work on the highlighted section and leave the rest alone--repeat for any other sections.

FYI, later versions after Cool Edit became Adobe Audition have an enhanced ability to remove things, called "Centre Channel Extractor". I think it started in AA3.0 but my memory may be faulty. However, nothing can be 100% reliable in removing vocals--it's a bit like trying to unbake a cake.

Back