Newbie problem: Adobe Audition 1.0 won't play to speakers in Edit View

rockyabq

Howdy,

First post here. I'm a long-time Adobe Audition 1.0 user.

All was well until I got a new set of computer speakers for Christmas. These speakers play perfectly when I'm listening to YouTube videos or playing an audio CD with VLC player.

Now I can't get AA to play through the speakers after I've recorded or loaded a sound file when I'm in Edit View. I'm aware of the settings in Device Order and Device Properties and I've tried every combination I can think of--all in addition to the obvious one of selecting my speakers/sound card for Playback ["Speakers (RealTek High Defini"] and checking the box to use that selection in Edit view. The record mode of AA (to record what's playing in a YouTube window for example), works fine.

I previously had similar speakers made by another manufacturer that were the same configuration--two satellite speakers and a subwoofer. All was well with AA then.

Now here's the odd part, if I load an mp3 file into AA and press the play icon, the "cursor" moves across the file like it should--but there's silence from the speakers. If I right-click the file name, select "Insert into MultiTrack", and then click play in the MultiTrack window, the file plays fine through the speakers.

As a side note, if I want to listen to a loaded or recorded file in Edit View, I can plug in my headphones and set Device Order to play back through them.

I've uninstalled and re-installed AA and still have the same problem. For what it's worth, I'm using Windows 7, but, obviously, that's not the issue.

Why does AA play back fine in MultiTrack view but not in Edit view??

Thanks in advance,
Rocky

I figured out the problem. It wasn't a problem with AA at all. In Windows Playback Devices, the speakers option was set to "Surround 5.1". Apparently, since I have no center speaker, AA output the sound to nothing. It's somehow set to output in mono rather than stereo. (If anyone can help me change that one, I'd be appreciative too.) A change of the speaker setting to Quadraphonic and, voila!, AA plays back through the speakers!

I figured this out when watching a movie where I heard background music, but no dialogue whatsoever.

Back