Metering (AA 2,0)

DRUM

What is happening with metering in AA 2,0?
I can see the indicators when I test mic but when I start recording they,re gone. I like to watch those indicators while recording.

I want them to work all the time: Testing, recording, playing.

How to set AA.
Thanks!

Sounds like you are not using an ASIO driver. Goto Edit > Audio Hardware Setup to make your selection. And use Audition Mix Smart Input for monitoring.

You are right! I am still using windows sound driver.
I tried once to choose ASIO and than I got message telling me to go to another menu to adjust more settings.
I did not understand much, did not find that menu. Decided to wait. I work with no project right now and just trying to learn about new AA.
I don’t understand English enough and it took me 2 hours just to make a little post here (with a little help of my friends and auto corrections in windows)

Do you guys notice that AA 2,0 is starting up too slowly?
Sometimes I wonder I everything is set up all right on my PC?
(Pentium 4, 3,06 gHz, 1gb RAM)
AA 1,5 which I still have on my computer is starting up very fast.
Should I uninstall the old one?
When I open some old projects in new version 2,0 I get message that AA can't find some effects that I used in project (AA 1,5)

Probably the new one is short for those or it has improved them so much that it doesn't recognize old ones.

Maybe I'm talking nonsense but I'm still running into the problems. :(

I am still running the trial...couple of days left. But it does start up MUCH slower on my computer too.

The "solution" did fix the metering problem. I find that if I am playing a windows media player...or something like that, if I start 2.0 while I am listening to music, it whacks out my input/output settings really weird. Ususally my default output setting is not available, and the input changes to a default way on down the list. I have to stop the running program, and then go to the hardware setup again. ...yeah..I know I shouldn't listen to music probably and expect the program to start up ok.. :rolleyes: ..just an old habit I suppose I had.

mixmkr said:
I am still running the trial...couple of days left. But it does start up MUCH slower on my computer too.

The "solution" did fix the metering problem. I find that if I am playing a windows media player...or something like that, if I start 2.0 while I am listening to music, it whacks out my input/output settings really weird. Ususally my default output setting is not available, and the input changes to a default way on down the list. I have to stop the running program, and then go to the hardware setup again. ...yeah..I know I shouldn't listen to music probably and expect the program to start up ok.. :rolleyes: ..just an old habit I suppose I had.

I know what are you talking about.
This kind a problem never accured in old version.
Maybe we just have to learn more about 2,0 and everything's gonna be just fine.
I hope so

It does start up more slowly - if only because it's a significantly bigger program.

ASIO drivers cannot be shared between programs - maybe that's related to the problem you have when starting AA2.0 when using another audio program.

Opening old sessions in the new version is a bit of a can of worms, as the effects are not all the same, bussing is different, etc etc. I'd retain the old version, and think in terms of continuing to use it for old sessions unless you're prepared to spend some time on getting them working in the new.

There's an easy workaround to the problem of changing effects, etc, when you open a session from an older version in 2.0. Since 2.0 requires you to save first, you can rename the session and leave the original intact for use with the earlier version.

There are still some glitches, but I'm feeling my way. Probably any existing projects in 1.5 that I need to record new tracks to will be converted to 2.0. This is owing to the fact that Audition 1.0/1.5 will not save the device order I need using two sound cards.

Cool Edit Pro will, but the latest version I have is 2.0, which was pre-Mackie Control support, so I lose the control surface as well as useful upgrades in 1.5 such as the spectral display marquee tool.

CEP does preserve my device order, but....

So I'll use AA 1.5 for editing/mixing completed projects, and start/continue new projects in 2.0.

Now, if only Adobe would do something about that ugly plastic-look interface.

So AA isn't backwards compatible? Hm...

Because of latency issues I was having when I was running Win98 on my particular soundcard, I wound up using Cool 1.2 for recording, and Cool 2.1 for mixing. So I bought a new soundcard and moved up to XP, and it seems that most of the latency issues have disappeared. Nice. But now, if I move to AA, it looks like I'm going to be shuttling back and forth between softwares again. Poo.

I opened up a fair amount of earlier sessions in AA2.0... and for the most part they transferred alright. Granted, I don't use a pile of software plugins either, so I didn't really have that issue. I try and make the tracks stand on their own in the basic form, and just lightly use reverb or something like that on top.

My question is ...is it really important to have old sessions available for use in AA2.0? I realize that as a "for hire" studio, it might be. But my thoughts would be that once you finished a session, you move on and speaking for myself only now... I pretty much never go back and re=hack a session and try to improve it. I try to put my improvements into a new session. Potentially, there are many of those that put stuff on the "back burner" and like to come back to it, and stuff like that. Actually I suppose there are many reasons, but like watching DVD's ....once I am thru with it, I don't have the urge to go back and do it again.

I have a specific project where the clientele are 250 mi away, and it's on spec...with the understanding that they visit from time to time and make suggestions, and I work on it from time to time. Ordinarily, I don't look back.;)

mixmkr, lpdeluxe - I know what you're saying, and it makes sense in the context of what you do with the software.

But my situation's different. I've got songs that I recorded five years ago that I'm lobbing into albums I'm assembling nowadays. Not only that, but the song in question might simply have been recorded five years ago, or it might have had some mixing done on it at the time. So I'm interested in software that will read stuff I did in previous versions. But with AA 2.0, it looks like Adobe's decided to leave the old stuff behind.

Can anyone guide me through this ASIO set up?
I really can’t make it work! I tried and tried!
Everything works with windows drivers but playing back function is out if I’ve chosen ASIO drivers.
I got message that system runs in HALF DUPLEX driver and can’t play back while recording.
I’m sure it is just me and I don’t want to blame software or system. :(

lpdeluxe said:
Hm!
Obviously not!
Thank you for links. I'll try to read and understand them.
My sound card is SB Live. Cheep but it works fine for me. I don't know if full duplex is possible on it. I don't know what duplex is. But as I said, I'll read and try to learn about this kind of stuff.
I'm going to use windows drivers in the meantime.
I tried to comare clips done with windows driver and ASIO driver.
Didi I mention that I can record but playing back is down when I sue ASIO?
I did not hear any differance.
Maybe I needed a better sound card to be able to hear real differance!

Thanks

If you search "soundblaster" you will get pages and pages of hits, almost all of them along the lines of "get rid of that &$*%&^ soundblaster!" No offense, it's just a well-known crappy sound card. You **MUST** have a capable, full-duplex card to use AA 2.0 (or any competent software), and failure to recognize that will lead to frustration.

Getting a great recorded sound ain't easy, or cheap. It's a fact of life. There are places you can cut corners; there are lots of instances of a person using creative micing techniques to get a great sound out of low-end gear, but the sound card is not the place to experiment. If the sound card is the limiting factor of your recording, think about it: EVERY SOUND that goes into, or comes out of, the computer, is compromised.

A mic, or a guitar, or a synth are all creative devices, and you will be able to express yourself despite limitations in design, interface or you-name-it: but a sound card is like the tires on your car: are you going to enter the Daytona 500 with Pep Boys recaps?

Back