Metering (AA 2,0)

With AA 2.0 I can run maybe half of the number of effects I was doing in 1.5 before it starts to bog down. Using a Firepod. Kinda sucks too, since I love the new routing options in 2.0.

lpdeluxe said:
If you search "soundblaster" you will get pages and pages of hits, almost all of them along the lines of "get rid of that &$*%&^ soundblaster!" No offense, it's just a well-known crappy sound card. You **MUST** have a capable, full-duplex card to use AA 2.0 (or any competent software), and failure to recognize that will lead to frustration.

Getting a great recorded sound ain't easy, or cheap. It's a fact of life. There are places you can cut corners; there are lots of instances of a person using creative micing techniques to get a great sound out of low-end gear, but the sound card is not the place to experiment. If the sound card is the limiting factor of your recording, think about it: EVERY SOUND that goes into, or comes out of, the computer, is compromised.

A mic, or a guitar, or a synth are all creative devices, and you will be able to express yourself despite limitations in design, interface or you-name-it: but a sound card is like the tires on your car: are you going to enter the Daytona 500 with Pep Boys recaps?

Thank you! I intend to buy E-MU 1820.
It comes with dock station and nice preamp. In that way I can get rid of many large tings I'm using while recording and I'll do much better job with just this card and its dock station.
I know E-MU 1820M is much better but its price is twice as E-MU 1820

E-Mu 1820

That looks like a good one. E-Mu has a good rep (I've not used one, but then I've only used 2 sound cards, ever).

Hmm i tried to activate the ASIO drivers but when i choose ASIO, i can no longer listen to my recordings! i guess this is because my comp speakers are plugged into my onboard audio card and my recording device is my delta 44.... it wont let me select my onboard card for the output (so i can listen) when i choose the ASIO drivers... am i supposed to use my delta 44 as my computers sound card????? does that mean i have to run guitarcables and adapters into my speaker system? lol....

It may be that the songs you previously recorded are opening in sessions set for the wrong drivers. You may have to go to Edit/Audio Hardware Settings (or whatever it's called) and assign the ASIO drivers each time you want to play one back. If that's the case, maybe you could open a new session, using the ASIO drivers, and then import each song into a new ASIO-enabled session.

What I do is open the older material in a previous version of CEP or AA that doesn't use ASIO. The previous drivers and ASIO seem to coexist fine in the same sound cards, but not in the same version of AA (2.0).

It's true that 2.0 is a significantly larger wad of code, and it's slow to open, but the older versions are a lot smaller and I have no problems with Cool Edit Pro 2.0, Adobe Audition 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 all on the same computer...and I could load CEP 1.2 on there too, if I felt the need (still have the 6-year-old CD-ROM).

im not having tyrouble setting it to ASIO.. but my computer speakers are connected to my onboard audio, and when i go to ASIO, it doesnt let me choose my onboard audio as an output, thus i cannot hear my stuff when im using ASIO drivers... maybe i need asio for my onboard audio? either that or i need to tell my computer not to use my onboard audio at all, and have my delta 44 compute ALL of my computer audio, and that means running cables and adapters from the deltas outputs to my computer speakers ins.... who here uses their recording interface as their computers main sound card... as in, if u watch a movie, the audio comes from your recording soundcard...

Well, you've got me there. I don't do anything with my recording computer except record: it doesn't play mp3s, it doesn't do video, it doesn't play games, it only functions to record and play back music that I've recorded. I believe that's what the software is designed to do: I have read threads here and elsewhere that indicate that ASIO only does one thing at a time, and maybe that's why it's so efficient.

When I MUST play something other than what's in Adobe Audition, I have to route it through the analog outs on my sound card [Terratec EWS88D]. This is how I play files that I'm running through T-Racks, for example: it doesn't reproduce the sound from the sound card outs, which are assigned to Audition.

I'd like to help, but I don't know enough about the alternatives, never having had to use them. I have noticed that Audition doesn't recognize the analog outs on the sound card, for what that's worth.

Maybe someone else knows more than I do (hell, that's a sure thing;)).

its cool thanks for helping me thus far.. so u use one sound card for inputs and also have the same card go out to your speakers? i thnik thats my problem, i have one sound card that supplies my speakers (crappy dell ones) and then my delta44 card is what handles recording... my onboard soundcard probably doesnt have ASIO drivers which would be why i cannot select is for playback when i choose asio drivers... my Maudio shows up fine but i cant select my onboard card under ASIO, ill have to see if its got asio drivers or maybe i can just use the deltas outputs to go into my speakers

You need Asio4All ASIO driver - freeware - that should enable you to do what you're looking for - works well here.

you are my Jesus! only question is, will these drivers replace my maudio ASIO drivers? and if so, are they worse in anyway?

darkecho said:
you are my Jesus! only question is, will these drivers replace my maudio ASIO drivers? and if so, are they worse in anyway?
I think you'll still be able to choose in AA 2,0 any you would like to use.
I have 3 different drivers on my PC. Did not notice any truoble at all. (YET)

Asio4All doesn't replace anything. It just provides an extra option. So in the audio program you can choose to use the soundcard driver direct, or to use Asio4All which in turn knows about the soundcard through the Asio4All control panel.

Back