how to simultaneously record multiple tracks?

skateboardnaked

hi guys,

Is it possible to record simultaneously, different instruments to different tracks with only one sound card that has multple inputs? If so, how do you assign the track it records on?

I know i could record em all on one track, but im trying to seperate em if possible. Would i need 4 different cards to record 4 different seperate tracks at the sametime?

thanks, any input would be much appreciated..

skateboardnaked said:
hi guys,

Is it possible to record simultaneously, different instruments to different tracks with only one sound card that has multple inputs? If so, how do you assign the track it records on?

I know i could record em all on one track, but im trying to seperate em if possible. Would i need 4 different cards to record 4 different seperate tracks at the sametime?

thanks, any input would be much appreciated..

Possible?....it depends.....but yes, we do it everyday.... :)
Massive is right....now we'll ask you what card have YOU have got, specifically?
(When u mention 'multiple inputs' do you mean a basic stereo card attached to a multi-channel mixer, or did you mean a 'pro'-card with multiple ins/outs.......??????).
If it's just a basic stereo card, you can do the old 'Left/Right' trick to record 2 seperate tracks....the more cards, the more left/rights!! (umm..err..to a point!).....er ...anyways....get back to us. :p

Spit.

What kind of sound card do you have? How many inputs?

The short answer is that you right click the track in CEP/Audition to bring up the track properties where you assign which soundcard input you want to record onto that track. But I dont know if thats what your asking.

thanks guYs,

its just a basic soundcard that came with the computer... its got line in and a mic input..

the multiple inputs i mentioned was from a tascam porta sudio 4 track with 4 inputs and onlY 1 output <a red/white stereo cable>

massive, sorrY if im a newbie , but what is I/O?

skateboardnaked said:
thanks guYs,

its just a basic soundcard that came with the computer... its got line in and a mic input..

the multiple inputs i mentioned was from a tascam porta sudio 4 track with 4 inputs and onlY 1 output <a red/white stereo cable>

massive, sorrY if im a newbie , but what is I/O?
I know absolutely nothing about portastudios but you can record 4 seperate tracks at once, right? Since your soundcard has 2 inputs (left and right stereo but you will need the RCA to 1/8" adaptor cable) and your portastudio has 2 outputs, why for couldnt you maybe inport 2 tracks at a time? Like say your recording 4 tracks of drums, stereo overheads, a kick and a snare. Lay down the 4 tracks then just play back the overheads and record those into the computer and then go back and play/record the snare and kick tracks. But then again you might have issues with it all lining up right, I dont know. I tried recording with standard card once and had serious latancy issues. Just a thought.

And just to be clear...use the line in on the soundcard, not the mic in. The line in is actually 2 inputs. It is a stereo plug so the left could be one input and teh right could be a second. The output on your portastudio is the same way. The single output is actually 2. The red/right and the white/left. The mic input is a single mono input and will sound like garbage if you try to record a line level signal into it.

For every individual instrument you want to record to its own track, you need an individual input to record it with. There is no way to record more than two sources individually (at the same time) if all you have is a two-channel card - period.

Personally, I have two Layla 24/96 interfaces which give me a total of 16 individual inputs.

thanks for the suggestions. ive got the left right channel figured out now so i can record 2 portastudio tracks seperatly which is working cool. it works good for transferring the old tracks i got 2 at a time.

now ive installed another soundcard i had laying around (soundblaster live 24 bit) it has just one input, but now my computer only recognizes the soundblaster only. the soundcard on the motherboard doesnt even show up anymore. im sure its a device interup default type problem. does anyone know any settings to get the 2 soundcards to both show up? ive been messing around in hardware profiles but have been striking out on finding a solution.
thanks
ds

You can't install more than one soundcard, since they will conflict.

You need a soundcard that has multiple inputs on itself.
Some, as MadAudio mentioned, allow chaining more than one device (I believe) which gives you even more inputs.

Ok, ive just decided im being a big cheapskate about this whole deal and im down to buy a mutliple input soundcard ASAP.

the only thing i dont quite understand is: that if one sound card has multiple inputs, can you partition audition to split these into seperate tracks from the soundcards outputs? i see where you assign the soundcard to record on each track, but if you have just the one soundcard does it show up in audition pationed, like output 1, 2 ,3 etc?

i need a card that will let me mic at least 6 different mono tracks simultanelesly. (drums /guit etc) what could i get that audition will work good with? my budget is around 300.00, any suggestions?

thanks, learning alot on here.
ds

Jamz0r said:
You can't install more than one soundcard, since they will conflict.
Jamz0r said:
I'm sorry J0.....but this is incorrect.
You can indeed run multiple SB cards in the one PC...I did this with 3 SB's for many years, creating a total of 6 I/O's....(came in handy for recording a drum-kit).....sure, you may want to be a little 'PC' savvy to avoid conflicts, but my multi-track program saw all 3 cards with no issue....and no problems at all.
Those older recordings still make me very happy today!!

Ultimately, one or two semi-pro multi-channel cards (Delta 44's for example) is going to be far superior to a few consumer based cards residing on the PCI bus of your PC.....
If you've got the cash, go the former everytime....and if strapped,....multiple SB's (I will only mention SoundBlaster's as I have a practical experience with these particular cards) will also get you into the ballpark of multi-tracking, and will serve you well, to begin with.

Just my two bits....again!! :D :)

Kindest regards to you.
Superspit.

Maybe 3 identical cards, but why bother...just asking for issues.
I can imagine the latency possible with not one, but 3 SB's! lol
For the price of 3 crappy cards, you could get a decent multi-channel card.

As for the question asked by the OP:

Yes, you can assign the soundcard inputs to their own the tracks within your recording software. You'll want to use the ASIO drivers.

Jamz0r said:
Maybe 3 identical cards, but why bother...just asking for issues.
I can imagine the latency possible with not one, but 3 SB's! lol
For the price of 3 crappy cards, you could get a decent multi-channel card.

As for the question asked by the OP:

Yes, you can assign the soundcard inputs to their own the tracks within your recording software. You'll want to use the ASIO drivers.

Ok Jamz,...
You can successfully multi-track with multiple SB's, no problem!!! (rinse and repeat)

Point 1 (3 identical cards?)......yes, with 3 reasonably good quality, but basic SB 'type' cards, it works. (as I've said before). (Sorry if you don't believe me.)

Point 2 (latency?)....I had no tracking error/timing issues to speak of whilst tracking using those 3 SB's long ago. As long as your machine is a capable one. LOL!

Point 3 (budget?)....It's funny how time and price change proportionally. ie..5 years ago I couldn't afford to buy 2 Delta's, it was impossible for me. (I was to heavily into paying maintenance) So the SB's were a cheap and effective 'work-around', until I could afford my Delta's and a descent Desk, mics, etc..

So you are correct in saying you'd go for the 'multi-channel' card rather than old SB's....ofcourse!!!...um...if you can afford it. (We're obviously talking budget here).

Point 4 (ASIO)?....I've never found the use of ASIO an 'absolute' necessity!!!

Not arguing, just making sure that our new-comers are getting some objectivity, get them started.....and give some practical facts, regardless of budget.

Hey Skateboard...can you get youself a couple of new or s/hand Delta's.....it'll solve your problems once and for all...mmmmm.....8 channels of mono input/output goodness....mmmmm...

Cool....back in the studio to record I go!!!

Last edited:
Oh, I believe you that it worked, it's just ridiculous to go to the trouble!

SB cards sound like crap...cost too much...and have much more latency than a true recording card.
For nearly the same price you can buy an EMU or a Delta...

Anyone reading this thread should know that it's NOT a great idea to try and use 3 SB's to accomplish multiple inputs...
Not 5 years ago...not today.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good story! We all have rigged ways to get stuff done. I'd just hate to "objectively" instruct someone new to home recording to invite computer issues that could taint the joys of the hobby.

Jamz0r said:
Oh, I believe you that it worked, it's just ridiculous to go to the trouble!

SB cards sound like crap...cost too much...and have much more latency than a true recording card.
For nearly the same price you can buy an EMU or a Delta...

Anyone reading this thread should know that it's NOT a great idea to try and use 3 SB's to accomplish multiple inputs...
Not 5 years ago...not today.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good story! We all have rigged ways to get stuff done. I'd just hate to "objectively" instruct someone new to home recording to invite computer issues that could taint the joys of the hobby.

oh, ok.....by the way, I achieved an early set-up with cheap 16 bit ($15) SB live cards......I didn't get the more (gastly more) expensive Audigy series till later.....before moving onto 'proper' multi-cards.
My case was not one of wanting to 'taint', it's a case of getting your music down, regardless of the price point/newness into this enjoyable hobby/recreation.
We all had to start somewhere!!!....and that's how I got into digital after 16 years of Portastudios!!...LOL!!! :)
I often find myself sympathising with some of our younger fellow muso's, usually a lot younger than ourselves, who just simply don't have a lot of cash. We need to show them that there are simple/cheap alternatives that can get them up and running and recording their concepts. Then, with the skills they've learnt, and that ever burning desire to improve, they can.

(Though with the lowering prices of great cards today.......using 3 SB's sounds crazy, I agree!)

I'm sure Jamz, you can see the validity, seems nasty and cheap, but it's an alternative that works?

Kindest Regards to you.
Superspit (A)

LOL Portastudio...I recently ripped some old tracks off one of those. Now they are "digitally remastered" :rolleyes: :D

skateboardnaked said:
Ok, ive just decided im being a big cheapskate about this whole deal and im down to buy a mutliple input soundcard ASAP.

the only thing i dont quite understand is: that if one sound card has multiple inputs, can you partition audition to split these into seperate tracks from the soundcards outputs? i see where you assign the soundcard to record on each track, but if you have just the one soundcard does it show up in audition pationed, like output 1, 2 ,3 etc?

Yes. I'm running audition and 16 tracks of input on two cards for importing tracks from my hd-24 to mix/edit.

In the multitrack view of audition, you can right-click on each track and select "recording device". Mine comes up looking something like this:

ews88d 1/2
ews88d 3/4
ews88d 5/6
ews88d 7/8

and so on........

In addition to selecting one of the above, there is also a selection for left, right or stereo. So, to set up for mutitrack operation, I'd select:

Track 1- ews88d 1/2-Left
Track 2- ews88d 1/2- Right
Track 3- ews88d 3/4- Left
Track 4- ews88d 3/4 -Right

etc. etc. etc.

KEEP IN MIND, "ews88d" is the name of my hardware, what you see in the list will depend on what hardware (card) you install.

I have found it helpful to save "default" session files with all the tracks already assigned, then do a "save as" after recording the tracks in. It beats assigning all the tracks one-by one every time.

Good luck!!

Back