How do I change track settings from stereo to mono?

Max_Kincaide

I'm trying to record going into the software using a mono input in my mixer, but for some reason the track "seperates" into a left and right. I'm not going in stereo, so why is it recording in stereo? Is there a setting that I missed that would allow me to competely record in mono? Help!!!

Is it recording onto both the left and right channels of the track? Or just one? What kind of mixer? Are you using the stereo outs? And what software are you using?

Go to Options/Settings/Multitrack Tab and tick the "mono" field in the "default" section on the right half of the window.

If you decide you want to record in stereo, go back and tick the "stereo" box.

I tried the whole thing of going to options-multitrack and setting it up for mono, but it doesn't make a difference. I don't remember specifically what mixer it is I'm using, but I can't find a mono output, which is the root problem...I know if I go into the program running 2 outs, then it's going to split the track...I just can't figure out how to go mono with it. I even tried only using 1 of the 2 outs and kept the settings on mono, but it still split the track and only recorded on either the left or right. It's strange that the mixer doesn't have a mono out...I always thought that if you ran from the left out, it was considered mono, and if you ran from both left and right that was stereo...maybe I'm just retarded..I dunno. So, yeah...

I'm trying to record going into the software using a mono input in my mixer, but for some reason the track "seperates" into a left and right. I'm not going in stereo, so why is it recording in stereo? Is there a setting that I missed that would allow me to competely record in mono? Help!!!
maybe you gotta adjust it on ya DAW and not ya mixer.....

only thing i can think of, i'm a Newb....

Do you start a New Session each time you record? If you're recording over an old session changing the default won't change the setting on that particular recording.

What version are you using? Adobe Audition 2.0 made some major changes in the workspace and menus. The instructions above are for any version through Audition 1.5.

One other possibility: click on the "record" button at the left end of the track. A window will come up that offers the choice of "Left Channel", "Right Channel", "Stereo" and either 16 or 32 bits. Tick "Left Channel" and that may fix it.

Back