Downward Expander / Compressor?

Kyle McCarley

Hi there,

I'm a voice over actor and longtime Audition user looking for what's hopefully a quick and easy tip from somebody more audio-savvy than myself. I normally use a Symetrix 528E Voice Processor for its expander / compressor when recording VO at home. However, I'm tackling a project that's going to involve recording four voices at once, and I only have one 528E (and nowhere near enough money in the budget to buy three more of them). Is there an easy effect I can apply in the effects rack in Audition to achieve something similar to that expander / compressor in post-production? Here's where my dials are set on the 528E, if that helps.

Mic Gain: 30dB
Output Level (VU): -10dB
Exp Thres: -30dB
Comp Thres: -20dB
Comp Ratio: 2:1

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I don't use audition, but any compressor/gate will do this. There has to be at least one in there. Even if the compressor and gate/expander are two different plugins, just put the gate first in the chain.

The mic gain is a function of the mic preamp. You will need a piece of hardware to fill that roll. Do you have an interface with enough mic inputs to do this project?

Back