Cool Edit/Audition release history

RawDepth

Does anyone know the total release history of Cool Edit/Audition? The best I can piece together from Google research and my own memory is this...

1995 - Cool Edit `95 – (editor only, no multi-tracking)
1996 - Cool Edit `96 – (editor only, no multi-tracking)
1997 - Cool Edit Pro v1.0 – (included multi-tracking)
1999 – Cool Edit Pro v1.1, 1.2, 1.32, 1.33a, 1.33b, 1.34, 1.34a, 1.50, 1.51, 1.52, 1.53 - (lots of bug fixes)
1999 - Cool Edit Pro v2.0
1999 - Cool Edit 2000 v1.0 & v1.1
2002 - Cool Edit Pro v2.1

2003 – Syntrillium Software is purchased by Adobe Systems, Inc. and Cool Edit is renamed Audition.

2003 – Adobe Audition v1.0
2004 – Adobe Audition v1.5
2006 – Adobe Audition v2.0
2006 – Adobe SoundBooth Beta 2 - (Audition simplified for dummies)
2007 - Adobe SoundBooth CS3

Does anyone know of other versions that I've missed or dates that I have incorrect?

Thanks,
RawDepth

EDIT: Added to list.

Last edited:
There are even older versions, just called Cool Edit without a year figure. You can find several versions for windows 3.1 on the net. The best it can handle is 16 bit, 48 kHz. No float support.
I remember seeing an even older version for DOS on a shareware collection CD somewhere.

RawDepth said:
Does anyone know the total release history of Cool Edit/Audition? The best I can piece together from Google research and my own memory is this...

1995 - Cool Edit `95 – (editor only, no multi-tracking)
1996 - Cool Edit `96 – (editor only, no multi-tracking)
1997 - Cool Edit Pro v1.0 – (included multi-tracking)
1999 – Cool Edit Pro v1.1, 1.2, 1.32, 1.33a, 1.33b, 1.34, 1.34a, 1.50, 1.51, 1.52, 1.53 - (lots of bug fixes)
1999 - Cool Edit Pro v2.0
1999 - Cool Edit 2000 v1.0 & v1.1
2002 - Cool Edit Pro v2.1

2003 – Syntrillium Software is purchased by Adobe Systems, Inc. and Cool Edit is renamed Audition.

2003 – Adobe Audition v1.0
2004 – Adobe Audition v1.5
2006 – Adobe Audition v2.0
2006 – Adobe SoundBooth Beta 2 - (Audition simplified for dummies)
2007 - Adobe SoundBooth CS3

Does anyone know of other versions that I've missed or dates that I have incorrect?

Thanks,
RawDepth

EDIT: Added to list.

Okay, I'll bite. Why do you want to know?

dobro said:
Okay, I'll bite. Why do you want to know?
I think it all started when I noticed people on here asking questions about older versions of Cool Edit. Lightheartedly, I asked myself, "I wonder if anyone out there is still using a really, really old version? ...Or maybe even the first version. Come to think of it, I wonder what the first version was."

I did a Google search about the release history and started coming up with references to dozens of different versions. One thing led to another and I started a little list.

I guess it was mostly because I had two hours to kill and I was bored. I kind of got sidetracked on a mini-mission to see how old it is and how it evolved over the years. Then I posted my findings on here to see if anyone had anything to add.

Simple as that.
RD

I found having 3 old Win 3.1 versions in my collection:
1.31 has really inacurate waveform display and poor sample rate conversion.
1.51 has fixed those faults of 1.31 and has several improvements
This is from the 1.51 changelog:
Following are the new features, enhancements, and bug fixes since version 1.50:

NEW FEATURES
* Added support for Microsoft ACM file formats
* New Zero-Crossing function (F4) finds the zero crossings

ENHANCEMENTS
* Added A-Law, mu-Law, byte-reversed, and unsigned formats to PCM raw data
format
* Added optional header to PCM raw data format
* Added a 5-bit IMA ADPCM compression for higher quality ADPCM at 25% more
space
* Record level meters with logarithmic display and right-mouse config menu
* Record level meters made larger, and display on playback and record as well
* User defined number of Undo levels
* Functions work on entire waveform when no selection is made

BUG FIXES
* Undo Music wasn't working properly
* Invalid undo directory is handled properly now
* Paste Special gave "not enough memory for undo" when not necessary
* Toolbar help popups do not disable keyboard anymore
* Moved location of 'fact' chunk in WAV files for more compatibility

Following are the new features, enhancements, and bug fixes since version 1.34:

NEW FEATURES
* Merge button added to Cue list to concatonate two cue items into one range.
* Added Open Append function and the ability to open multiple files into a
single Cool Edit instance.
* Three-level undo incorporated so you can Undo the last 3 actions.
* Added 6000Hz VOX file format.
* New Reverb function is ideal for simulating room spaces from shower stalls
to grand amphitheatres.
* New RMS option added to Compressor function so the exact output RMS value
can be generated for any RMS input value.
* New Cool Edit Lite option now available for those who don't need all the
extra widgets and gizmos.
* New registration address in Arizona. I have started a new company called
Syntrillium Software Corporation.

ENHANCEMENTS
* Application startup time sped up by not checking for CD-ROM drive at app
startup, but instead checking only when opening the CD Player.
* Clicking on the 'black' area of the green slider bar pages one screen left or
right.
* Cue items may be added to the cue list by pressing F8 or Add while audio is
playing or recording to mark the current play or record position.
* Cue list markers now display as red arrows, and cue range indicators display
as blue brackets above and below the waveform display.
* Current play time is displayed in the window when audio is playing.
* Added hand icon to graphs to more easily edit graphs.
* Made separate Undo and Temp directories.
* Convert Sample Type function is now undoable as well.
* Added a maximum display size in Settings, so only the first N seconds will
be displayed, instead of the entire waveform if desired.
* Added option to Info to keep Cool Edit from adding extra RIFF info.
* Added more FFT sizes to the Noise Reduction function.
* Added final length setting to Stretch function so data can be entered as a
percentage of stretching, or new stretched length.
* VOX formats will prompt "Convert to ...?" instead of auto-converting.
* Transform and Generate menu items and toolbar items are now sorted
alphabetically (except for Reverse, Silence, Invert and Music).
* Green slider bar made more apparent (bigger) to be easier to use.

BUG FIXES
* Dithering to 8-bit audio had rail-to-rail spikes if original 16-bit audio
was clipping.
* Single channel Noise Reduction and Filtering was corrupt.
* Sometimes Noise Reduction would halt at 99% and never complete.
* EQ presets for Echo function, and Stretch presets were a little flakey.
* GP Fault occurred when cursor was out of view and Play was pressed in Play
From Cursor mode.
* Adjusted play bar speed to (hopefully) work properly for Sound Blaster Pros.
* 8-bit Stretch function truncated all negative values (very weird!)
* Stretching waves that were near clipping used to distort.
* AU file filter saved 8-bit audio improperly, or only wrote a header.
* There was a possible problem with Undo corrupting previous instances' undo
buffers. Also in an intermediate build the Undo buffers were never erased.
* Sound Blaster cards used to give Divede By Zero when Play was pressed.
1.53 doesn't look any different from 1.51, except there is no changelog any more.

Screenshot of 1.51: https://img395.imageshack.us/img395/9841/cool151yh2.png
I see, the waveform display is still very inacurate. It was fixed in 1.53. Just checked. Also the spectrum analyser got the grid in 1.53.
Also very noticable is the colorful EGA design.
I can upload those version, if you want. They are unregistered shareware. You have to chose of two function groups at start. There is no time limit like in the later versions. There is no installer. You just unzip them in any directory. They still work with recent Windows version, except there is no long filename support (see screeshot).

Hey, that's interesting.

So, when I came in at 1.2, it was already benefiting from corrections and tweaks from previous incarnations. And I thought Version 1 was the original. Sheesh.

LogicDeLuxe said:
Screenshot of 1.51: https://img395.imageshack.us/img395/9841/cool151yh2.png
I see, the waveform display is still very inacurate. It was fixed in 1.53. Just checked. Also the spectrum analyser got the grid in 1.53.
Also very noticable is the colorful EGA design.
I can upload those version, if you want. They are unregistered shareware. You have to chose of two function groups at start. There is no time limit like in the later versions. There is no installer. You just unzip them in any directory. They still work with recent Windows version, except there is no long filename support (see screeshot).
Wow, those guys must have really had their act together back then. It looks like they had a lot of the same tools we still see today.

Judging from the toolbar icons, I think I see...

Silence
Pitch change
Compression
Lots of effects
Envelopes
FFT
Spectrum analyzer
Normalize
Waveform editing
Metering
Cue points
...and a few others I cannot identify.

I remember EGA from the late 80's. I paid big bucks just to use 16 colors simultaneously. I was the envy of my whole block, though. I even had CGA prior to that. Perhaps only us old guys know how ugly that was. :D

Thank you Logic,
RawDepth

On the screenshot from left to right:

new wave
open
save
save selection
start another instance of Cool Edit (as it can only open one file at once)

undo

reverse
silence
invert
music
amplify
channel mixer
dynamics processing
delay
distortion
echo
echo chamber
envelope
FFT filter
flanger
noise reduction
normalize
quick filter
reverb
stretch
brainwave synchronizer (Adobe renamed it to binaural auto-panner and removed the frequency names)

generate silence
DTMF signals
generate noise
generate tones

toggle between continues and looped playback
monitor input level (same as doubleclicking the peak meters)
adjust settings
frequency analysis
wave information
scripts for automation
cue list
help
cd player

As you see, the feature list is pretty much complete, except for the multitrack capabilities. The main differences between versions were always support for more formats and enhancing the existing effects. The preview button was added rather late.

I noticed, there is a more complete history in the help file:
Version History
Many minor bug fixes that have increased the quality and stability of Cool Edit.
Fixed bug in saving and recalling Quick Filter presets.
Hitting Cancel on Not enough memory for undo inadvertently disabled all previous undos.
Added Display Time Format menu under Edit.
Spent an extra couple weeks updating Cool Edits copy protection to keep the program from being cracked and hacked into.
If you have Windows 95, please try Cool Edit 95 as it will run several times faster and has a few extra features.
Added a direct CD record option to copy exact digital samples off of CD for drives that support it

Sample rate conversion quality has improved even more.
Users of the Lite version of Cool Edit now have access to the new high quality sample rate conversion.

Added Amiga IFF file format.
Some glitches in working with scripts have been eliminated.
CD titles are automatically read from the Windows 95 CDPLAYER.INI file.
File Open and File Save As dialog boxes remember nonstandard filename extensions, and remember last used Options settings for
each format.
If no selection is made before performing a Transform operation, the current view is used.
A new ruler has been added to the waveform display.
Frequency Analysis display has been improved with decibel calibration and solid line view for more accuracy.
Spectral View has been improved by increasing the dynamic range of the display. Even the faintest signals are now plotted.
Waves play automatically if loaded from the command line.
Left and Right channels can be chosen individually by clicking near the top or bottom of the waveform display.
When loop playing, the looping will change to match the portion being selected.

Added option to control the number of play/record buffers for fine tuning recording quality.
Batch file processing now handles about 5,000 files per batch (up from a previous limit of about 200).
Faster sample rate conversion.
Faster Filter function in "locked" mode when not dynamically changing filter over time.
Faster Echo Chamber function by 5 to 20 times or more depending on room configurations.

Added A-Law, mu-Law, byte-reversed, and unsigned formats to the PCM raw data format. Also added optional header (.DAT) files for
specifying format information for raw data.
Added support for Microsoft ACM (Audio Compression Manager) file formats.
Added a 5-bit IMA ADPCM compression for a higher quality ADPCM taking only 25% more space.
Rebuilt level meters: Display is logarithmic (and labeled) in decibels (dB); Right-mouse-button configuration menu; Clipping indicators;
Peak meters easier to see; Meter displays while Playing and Recording as well; Meter spans the entire width of the window for arbitrary
precision.

Added user defined undo levels (maximum is 32 levels of undo).
Fixed 'memory hog' characteristic of Reverb function.
Quick Help no longer disables the Alt key.
Undo Music was corrupt, it's fixed now.
Drive letter only (e.g. "D:\") undo directory now works fine - it was causing a 'not enough memory for undo' message erroneously. Also
fixed problem when temporary directory specified for a non-existent drive.
Space bar start/stop playing disabled when monitoring audio.
Destination directory always set properly in batch processing, even if the directory is directly typed in instead of using the browse
button.
Added Zero Crossing function to adjust cursor position or highlight to zero crossings. Use F4 to quickly snap to zero crossing.
Functions will work on entire waveform if no highlight is made.

Moved location of 'fact' chunk in .WAV files to before the data instead of after to be compatible with other wave programs that do not
expect this chunk to come after the data.
New password generator being used that is case and 'space' insensitive in the user name field - previously the user name had to be
typed in exactly.

Application startup time sped up for owners of CD-ROM drives by not querying the CD-ROM every time the app is started.
Clicking on the 'black' area of the green slider bar will page the display left or right.
Cue items may be added to the cue list while audio is playing (F8 will also add the current cursor location or highlight to the cue list).
Cue list markers and ranges are displayed as blue brackets, or red arrows respectively indicating their locations within the wave.

Current play time is displayed as a wave is played now.
New 'Merge' button added to cue list to merge any two cues into a range (hold down on CTRL to select more than one cue entry).
Added Open Append, and opening of multiple files simultaneously.
Add 'Hand' icon to Graphs to more easily move graph points.
Fixed bug in 8-bit 'dither' conversion from 16-bit that occurred only with clipped audio.
Made separate Undo temporary directory so the undo buffer can be on a separate hard drive if necessary.
Added multi-level undo, instead of just one level of undo.
Convert Sample Type is now undoable.
Added a maximum display size when loading, so the initial display can be limited to a few seconds when a large (several minute) file is
loaded.
Added option to keep Cool Edit from writing extra RIFF .WAV information in Options->Info.
Fixed bug in single channel (of a stereo wave) Filtering and Noise Reduction.

Enhanced Noise Reduction function by allowing more FFT sizes.
Fixed bug in Noise Reduction that caused it to stop processing when 99% complete.
Added 6000Hz VOX file format.
Added new Reverb function.
Added Length setting to Stretch function.

1.34b
Fixed EQ presets for Echo function, and Stretch presets.
VOX file format will prompt "Convert to 8000Hz...?" instead of auto-converting.
Fixed bug that caused GP Fault when cursor was out of view and Play was pressed in Play From Cursor mode.

1.34a
Adjusted play bar speed for SBPro cards to be (hopefully) the right speed now for certain wave formats.
Fixed 8-bit stretch function (it was truncating all waves to only the lower half).
Fixed stretching of waves near clipping so distortion does not occur.
Fixed AU file filter so it works properly for saving 8-bit audio, and so it will save properly instead of just writing out the header at times.

Fixed Stretch so choosing an overlap of zero percent will not get errors.
Fixed Quick Filter volume locking and presets (presets were saving as the inverse of what was displayed).
Fixed possible problems with Undo using multiple instances where Undo in one instance would corrupt another instance's undo buffer.
Fixed playing on Sound Blaster cards to prevent "Divide By Zero" errors.

Custom effects modules (the *.XFM files). See Effects Modules API to build your own!
Last used settings for practically every dialog is now remembered between program runs in the [Profile] section of COOL.INI.
Repeat Last Command function by using F2 (with dialog) and F3 (immediate with previous settings).
Added variable quality sample type conversion.
Added a pause button to pause during playing or recording.
Added a fully configurable distortion effect for getting grunge and blown speaker sounds.

Added a three dimensional echo/reverb effect to simulate acoustics in rooms of any size.
Added a Generate DTMF tones function for making telephone signals.
Added a batch processor to the scripts for running a script on multiple files.
Added new file formats for Next/Sun (.AU), Raw 8-bit signed (.SAM), SampleVision (.SMP), ASCII Text (.TXT), Dialog ADPCM for voice
(.VOX), and A-Law/mu-Law for Waves (.WAV) (see Wave Formats).
Auto-play and file format info features added to File-Open dialogs to play sounds through installed sound drivers for preview and view the
file format before opening.
Moved file filter options selection to Save As dialog instead of always displaying options when saving.
Single channel editing possible for most functions (that do not change size of waveform).

Improved noise reduction speed for stereo waveforms and added more options. Also displays a noise profile for visual inspection.
Sped up display times in most areas.
Sped up Normalize, Amplify and Envelope on slower machines by integerizing routines.
Added Pause button to progress meter so you can free your system in an emergency without losing your edits.
Broke out Normalize and Invert into separate functional units. Normalize can be used in a script now.
Added decibel scales and logarithmic fades to Amplify.
Modified brainwave synchronizer to have separate high and low settings for intensity and centering.
Generate Tones now has separate initial and final modulation parameters and independently adjustable frequency multipliers that can
also vary over time.
Improved reliability of Monitor Source.
New settings options for temporary drive.
Play may begin from cursor or from left edge of screen.

Frequency analysis window displays information in stereo with left=Cyan and right=Magenta.
CD Player controls improved, now you can Insert as well as Eject. Also handles over 10,000 CD titles and song lists. That should be
enough for anybody! Also, the IDs used are compatible with the MUSICBOX.INI file, and any CD titles in MUSICBOX.INI will be
displayed by Cool Edit.
Added auto zoom button to cue list so double-clicking on cue item opens view to just that cue range, or zooms into the cue point.
Zoom In without any selection zooms in at cursor now, and highlight does not go away when zooming in.
Wave files may be up to 1 Gig in size, which should be sufficient for most applications.
Open and Save As can be recorded into a script for creating more complex scripts that use temporary files.
Current file size and number of samples updated while recording.

Time accuracy increased to 3 decimal digits, and new Frames format added (use Settings to change number of frames per second).
Uses fewer resources per instance, so more instances may be open at once.
Right click extends selection (a shortcut to using shift+left click).
Improved stretch function (preserving tempo or preserving none) by using a better interpolation method.
Added new Fractional Interval Overlap elongation method to stretch (preserving tempo or preserving pitch).
Notes are turned off now when you are not listening to a Music preview.
Filtering has been improved/fixed to be more accurate with less distortion.
Fixed bug in finding proper file format of a waveform (that was a tricky one!).
Fixed bug where Cool Edit crashed when loading in NT while a CD was in the drive.
Progress bar updates ETA time more often, at shorter intervals.

File types added to Extensions section so programs like File Manager have Cool Edit associated with all formats Cool Edit understands
(unless format was otherwise associated with a different program).
Progress meter updates ETA time more often for a more accurate result.
Lots and lots of other little tweaks, enhancements, and elbow grease went into this version as well.

Fixed bug in Filter Transition from initial to final settings... Final frequencies were off.
Frequency analysis calculates fundamental frequency much more accurately.
Added Compressor function to compress/expand dynamic range.
All graphs have double-clickable points to edit the graphical input point directly.
Clicking on any of the graph points displays the point's values below, instead of just displaying the mouse position.
Ring Modulation possible by using "Modulate over Source" checkbox. Instead of generating sine waves, the source is modulated by a
the sine wave (or any waveform you choose).

Any type of Modulation possible by using Paste Special's Modulate option.
Noise reduction function added.
Sped up some stereo operations for Filter, Spectral View, and Noise Reduction.
Added smoother 16-bit to 8-bit conversions when copying 16-bit files into an 8-bit waveform.

Filter has adjustable size (previously used 1024, now smoother filtering can be done by using sizes of 2048 or 4096).

1.31f
References added to the Brainwave Synchronization help.
Cue list and Play list remember their positions better when cutting and pasting shifts their positions.

1.31c-1.31e
Larger files list display.
FFT filter much smoother now (previously had some high frequency noise when doing extremely narrow sharp filters).
Adjustable spatial separation for Generate Noise.
New "smooth" option added to Wave brainwave synchronizer for an alternative "feel" to the sounds. Also the "gamma" range
(frequencies above 200 Hz) has been noted.

New independent left and right meters for Monitor Source, as well as peak indicators.
Clicking on the Cool window in the waveform area will not move cursor location if Cool Edit is not the active application.
New display for stereo waveforms, plus a more precise and consistent display for all waveforms.
Toolbar buttons draw a little quicker now.
Flange and Special EFX have been combined into a new more powerful Flanger, with a Special Efx option.

1.31b
Space bar will act as a 'play' button.
Warning issued when loading a file takes up ALL available temporary drive space.
Pasting low sample rate waves into high sample rate waves works properly now.

1.31a
Fixed Stretching to less than 50% for preservation modes.
Fixed displaying of waves more than 15 megs in size.
Sped up music generation by using temporary files for each note. Long music files can be generated up to 10 times faster, or even
more!

Added Open As to open waveforms into any format desired.
Added Select Entire Wave to quickly select the entire waveform, even if the view is zoomed in.
The Paste and Paste Special functions now have a progress bar like the rest.

Added the Scripts feature, which allows Cool to remember everything you do, and will let you replay it. One script file can contain many
individual scripts.
Wasn't loading from command line properly before.
Fixed memory hog/crashing bug in Generate Tones.
Added customizable Toolbar by modifying cool.ini file.
Added play bar to see what part of the wave is currently being played
Added Autocue button to Play List to play a single play list item at a time.
Trim is now undoable. Please turn off the Undo feature whenever you are doing really really large operations if you want Cool to run
faster, since it will not have to save Undo information.

Added Save Selection to save the currently highlighted portion of the wave to disk.
Improved method for stretching while preserving pitch or tempo for cleaner sounding waves called Interval Overlap. See Stretch.
Improved 'time left' reporting when recording.
Increased maximum file size from 248 megs to 536 megs.

1.30b
There weren't supposed to be any more bugs. But we found some:
Using FFT functions sometimes crashed (like FFT, Frequency Analysis, Spectral View, or Music). That has been fixed!
Undo paste when Hilight After Paste was not checked didn't work. It does now.
File filters have been modified to allow any format to be broken up into multiple files. For example, the WAV file format can have several
file filters for different compression schemes.
IMA/DVI ADPCM compression filter added to package (dvi.flt), which allows compressing of 16-bit audio down to 4, 3, and even 2-bit
(with noticeable loss in quality at 2-bit).

1.30a
Found more bugs: fixed Undo for Paste (special/loop/regular), and Undo Delete.
Fixed Re-Open on PCM files (would hang).
Added Undo for Music.
Added presets for Envelope and Filter.
Added initial/final settings for overtones in Generate Tones.
Revised Music dialog by adding Constant Duration checkbox to replace Adjust Duration.

Find Frequency is now a graph of the frequency spectrum.
Fixed the remaining known bugs, and completed spec for building custom file filters.

Rest of the history:
1.29b
Custom file filters (WAV, VOC, PCM, and AIFF currently). See File Filters API to build your own!

1.29a
Selectable wave devices (handles multiple sound cards).

Edit Left/Edit Right for cutting, pasting, and copying only one channel of a stereo wave.

Adjust sample rate added.

1.28c
Equalizer changed to Quick Filter, since FFT Filter does true, precise filtering.
Graphs have more flexibility with points.
Cue ranges can be associated with keyboard keys, so waves can be played from the keyboard.

1.28a
Spectral View and FFT filtering added.

File -> Close added.
Customizable presets added to a variety of wave functions.

Double-clicking on slider bar allows entry of starting and ending samples.
Pre-compute trig tables added to Settings.
Undo function added.

Versions 1.03 to 1.26
Cool Edit is sizeable. You can make your window big or little or whatever.
Wave files may be Dropped into the editor from the File Manager, or other applications supporting Drag and Drop.

New Instance added to File Menu
Added automatic conversion of 16-bit audio to 8-bit while playing for boards that do not support 16-bit audio.
Fixed a major bug having to do with the progress meter. You can now go on to do other things while Cool works in the background on
long operations.
Fixed an annoying bug when working with large files that caused the green slider to work inappropriately.
When opening multiple instances of the same wave, different names are given to each instance.
New and Improved Pink noise source. (Ideal for use with the Wave function).
Cue list and Play list supported for looping and custom play order.
New Setting for viewing mode of Dots (original) or Lines (dots of sample are connected by lines).
Digital Delay transformation added to easily spatially locate sounds to the left or right, or for special effects.

New settings option for Save/Save As interpretation of the diskette icon.
Are You Sure? Dialog box added to Silence button.
New waves can be made at any valid sampling rate, by use of the new Custom option.
DC Bias Filter added to Amplify to adjust waves skewed by a voltage.
CD Player has been added to play CD's for recording. Song titles may also be entered and restored automatically on future playbacks.
Brainwave frequency (Wave) function has adjustable graph for easier input of multiple frequencies over time.
Sound Blaster VOC file compatibility was added. Not FULL capability yet, because it does not support loops (it only loads the loop
once), and ASCII text. It does however support Sound Blaster Pro formats for 44.1 KHz-mono and 22 KHz-stereo. It will also load
non-standard sample rates if the VOC file was recorded at one.

Echo Equalizer added to Echo function to have each successive echo equalized for truer echo effects, or just snazzy special effects.
The Listen option was added to the music dialog so that the notes could be played through your MIDI setup as a preview. You can
record from the music played as well (if your board supports recording from the on-board synth.)
Envelope option was added to have more control over amplifying waves by using an amplification envelope.
A few new tone flavors have been added for making more natural sounding instrument sounds, which can be used with the Music option.
New options in settings dialog for play/record buffer size, and highlighting after pasting.

Color DIBs can be added to the .WAV file format.
Equalizer settings changed to decibels instead of percentages, making it easier to equalize, since the logarithmic scale is more natural.
Monitor Source meter is in much better real time since it now does not depend on the selected buffer size.

Versions 0.5 to 1.02
New algorithm implemented for raising/lowering pitches, and speeding up/slowing down waves.
Preset buttons added to Stretch dialog.
Highlighting is faster for slower video cards.
You can use the Shift+Mouse Button to extend the highlighted selection.
Music option was added to put your favorite samples to music (as if you were playing them on a keyboard) using a very easy to use
music editor. Only short riffs are supported right now.
Stretching is cleaner sounding.
The Transpose function has been added to the Stretch option to musically raise or lower pitches of selected samples.
A linked list approach has been taken for working with the temporary disk file when editing. Now Inserts and Deletes are almost
instantaneous when working with very large files.(Fixed cut/paste bug from 1.01)

The RAW file format was added for saving only the wave data without any headers.
Edit keys Delete (Delete Wave Selection), Ctrl+Insert (Insert), Shift+Insert (Copy) and Shift+Delete (Paste) were added.
Toolbar was added for quicker access to functions.
The previous Save menu item was changed to Save As, and a new Save was added to save the wave currently being worked on without
being asked for the file name.
The Silence option was added to the Transform menu to quickly silence the selection portion.
Extra RIFF information embedded in the .WAV file is now remembered between saves, and can be edited using the Info dialog.
MS ADPCM Compression is supported for loading and saving compressed files now.
A slight bug in overlapping was fixed. Overlap pasting past the end of a wave that used to be longer would revive data past the end of
file.

The Stretch transformation was added to allow stretching and compressing of waves, adjusting pitches, or adjusting tempos.
Viewing mode of the Beginning and Ending samples, as well as the time window (which displays how long the viewed portion of the
sample is, or how long the selection is) can be changed between samples and time by double clicking on the display.
Generating silence in 8-bit mode works properly now, centering the silence line at value 128.
You may now associate the COOL.EXE program with .WAV files in the file manager.
Command line loading works. File will automatically play once loaded if another file is not already playing.
Little Yellow Arrows work on files larger than 30,000,000 samples.
Gliding waves from one frequency to another "overshot" before. For example, gliding from 12Hz down to 7Hz would actually glide down
twice the frequency, (instead of -5Hz, -10Hz) resulting in a glide from 12Hz down to 2Hz instead. It's fixed now.

Multiple COOL's can be opened at once (which reduced the executable as well) for working with multiple waves at once. It's very easy
to copy and paste between waves, even of different formats.
Also, waveform display is instantaneous once loaded in (for example, restoring a minimized long waveform displays instantly instead of
recalculating). This allows such effects as the sound level meter running while zooming in and out of a waveform.
Displaying long waveforms now "multitasks" with Windows, so other things can be done while it is loading.
The progress meter was fixed slightly to allow multitasking with other applications without crashing Windows.
When saving a file, the extension .WAV is assumed if no extension is typed.
8-bit stereo pasting (with Overlap) works properly now (slight bug caused screeching problems). Also, overlap pasting past end of file
works properly too.
A "Musical Source" checkbox was added to the brainwave transformation to eliminate clicks heard when waving musical files.

A Recording level meter was added. Source input can be monitored through the Options menu for setting recording levels.
Lifting up on button after dragging a selection (and leaving the main window) will now act properly, and disengage the selection process
Recording to Sound Blaster Pro works properly. It no longer gives errors and chops up recording. In fact, using COOL to record does a
much nicer job than the recorder program provided with most sound cards, and there are no "clicks" or other distractions to contend
with.
Using "Large Fonts" on some monitors correctly displays main console, as well as progress meter now.

Thanks go out to:
Bob Ellison, Staffan Berger, Curtis Palmer, Dan Black, Darrell Plank, David Norris, Duane Young, Geoffrey Tilga, Gordon Currie, Harry
C. Koons, James Blackwell, Jarrod Beckman, Mike Rozak, Neil St. Laurent, Randy Omel, Richard Pepin, Ron McCabe, Ronald
Mendoza, Stan Eker, Ted Tatman, Todd Frye and Will Urban.

Other Cool Fans who made suggestions and found bugs here and there.

Other Acknowledgments
Cool Edit uses Microsoft Corporation's CTL3D.DLL dialog library, which Microsoft has agreed is a publicly available library and can be
used without restrictions. Please note that Microsoft does not support this program in any way, and are not liable for anything that may
happen.

All format types have been reproduced from publicly available documentation. Syntrillium Software makes no claims that they are in
any way correct, so they may not be compatible with other interpretations of the same format. It is up to you to first test to make sure
that when saving audio files in a particular format, the file generated is compatible with other systems that read the same format.

What Does the Future Hold?
We plan to keep on upgrading Cool Edit, making it more easy to use and useful to more people. We have definite plans for the next
version and we are sure you'll like it! As always, suggestions are welcome.

This stuff is interesting. But I'd also like to know what happened to the Cool Edit team when Adobe bought out Syntrillium. Did most of them migrate to Adobe? Are most of them still there?

There was no team. David (or Steve - I can't remember his name) came up with Cool Edit. One guy. When it started getting really popular, he sold distribution to Syntrillium. Or maybe the whole thingy to them.

There were two guys, one for each version. Did either of them go to Adobe? (And welcome to what is as far as I know the only moderated forum on homerecording.com except when Dave dares, which is seldom, Harvey.)

dobro said:
There were two guys, one for each version.
There sure are more than two versions, as we can see. Or did you mean Cool Edit 2000 and Cool Edit Pro? If so, apparently, Cool Edit 2000 wasn't continured by Adobe.

Also, it doesn't seem to make much sense. Cool Edit Pro is basically Cool Edit 2000 with all available plugins included. The only difference is that the multi-track-plugin is limited to 4 tracks, which can be done with a simple compiler condition. I don't think, they need an extra guy for that.

While there is only one programmer mentioned in all the text files, they keep addressing themselves as "us". Thus I guess, there is at least another guy in charge of the distribution.

As for the brand Syntrillium, I always suspected the programmer founded it himself, since there was no software from other programmers, iIrc.

Also I supect that at Adobe, another team took over, since the development head in another direction. As you can see in the changelog, Syntrillium did still releasing bug fixes for the Windows 3.1 version while the Windows 95 version was there already. With Audition 1.5, they didn't even support Windows 2000 anymore, and I really can't imagine a technical reason for that.
Also there don't seem to be all those bugfixes anymore.

While Audition 1.0 is supposed to be Cool Edit Pro 2.1, I noticed two regressions:
The spectrum analyser doesn't work on incomming signal, unless you actually start the recording.
Mousewheel zoom doesn't work during marking a selection.
Also, I wonder why they put the "binaural auto-panner" to the amplitude effects, although it clearly is a delay effect.

On the positive side, brainwave synchronizer scripts continue to work, despite they renamed the effect. Also you can just copy the brainwavesynchronizer from Cool Edit 2000 or Cool Edit Pro, if you really need those frequency names.

Version 1 was by David Johnston.

Version 2: I'm not sure, but I think a different person did that one.

Audition 1.5 has about two dozen people credited, one of which is David Johnston.

I found this in the help file of Cool Edit 96.

QUOTE...

About the author

David Johnston has been working with sound technology since 1991, and has been toying with electronic synthesizers since the 70's. He started programming while in high school on a Commodore PET computer. In 1982, he started his programming career on an Atari 800; he has since written software for Apple ]['s, Commodore 64's, Macintoshes, PC-compatible computers, and numerous mainframes and workstations.

David attended Eastern Montana College for two years and then moved to the Seattle area, where in 1991 he acquired a Bachelor's Degree of Science in Computer Science and Engineering from the University of Washington. He worked as a software engineer for several years at Microsoft, both during and after finishing college. In his spare time, he wrote programs for the challenge and fun of it. Two of those applications, Cool Edit and Kaleidoscope, went on to become some of the most popular shareware programs available.

In 1995, David Johnston and Bob Ellison co-founded Syntrillium Software Corporation to enhance and market Cool Edit, Kaleidoscope, and other products. David now devotes all his programming energies toward creating the most powerful and easy-to-use software products around, with special emphasis on applications that work with sound. In 1996, he created Wind Chimes, which simulates the sound of real wind chimes on the computer. Click here to find out more about Syntrillium's products.

Before they founded Syntrillium Software Corporation, Dave was selling CoolEdit on-line (from his home, I believe), with upgrade options, at different prices.

According to Syntrillium, my name was the oldest they can find on file. No, not just the fact I'm so frickin old, but I was one of the very first buyers of the original CoolEdit, if not the first.

I thought that was pretty cool.

I think that's pretty cool too.

I would have thought you were a 'record to 2" tape' guy. Or did you buy it for a friend? lol

Nope, I bought it for me !! Once I got DAT machines, I needed software to dump them from DAT to the computer and to edit wav files. CoolEdit had all the features I needed.

Back