click/pop filter

Foo-bu

what does it really do? i've tried using it a few times and it doesnt seem to make any noticible changes at all

Foo-bu. I'm not sure what thye reference to "click" is- ? a click track? But a pop filter does 3 things for you. The first, and its primary mission, is to reduce wind blasts that are discharged from aspirated consonants on close mic'd vocals. These consonants, "P" in particular, are also called 'plosives. Put your hand right in front of your mouth and recite "Peter picked a peck of pickled peppers" a few times. Really sensitive mics get blasted by this, producing a phenomenon called "pop", which is pretty much always bad.
Secondly, a pop filter keeps you from inadvertently spitting on the diaphragm of your expensive condenser mic, which is bad for it. Third, the pop filter gives the singer a reference point relative to the mic, which is helpful in maintaining the correct distance between the singer and the mic. This distance can vary quite a bit, depending on the mic, the singer, and the material.
Most stage mics have some sort of pop filter built into the housing, but most studio condensers don't. Hope this helps.-Richie

Noise Reduction -- Pop/Click

Foo-bu,

This filter is supposed to sample a wave form and use settings to determine *noise* that shouldn't be there. Those numbers in the lower middle area are fo the filter to determine slew rate & rise/fall times of transients.

I use this filter for eliminating record surface noise, such as pops and light crackle. But, there is the trade off that original musical information will get removed, if it falls into the ranges of those settings. The settings Syntrillium included need to be tweaked around to really be affective.

The single Pop/Click buttom only works on very short durations of audio (say less than 500mS or so). But, I have used it to get rid of pops introduced by a bad XLR cable or AC power spike.

Check out the manual. After reading that particular section, I made a dual-filter that works at least 5 times faster (and much better) than the one they included.

Foo-bu- Sorry about my confusion. Obviously, the click/pop filter is a feature of some piece of gear you have, but you didn't tell us what. You know, a lot of people on this board aren't mind-readers.-Richie

yeah sorry about that. i meant the clicl/pop filter in cool edit pro. i have a pop filter for placing in front of my mic but i was specifically asking aobut the noise reduction option in CEP 2.0

well this IS the cooledit pro forum :P

don't beat me!

sometimes i just use the click/pop filter several times over the same selection and it slowly wears it down. The above suggestion of tweaking the settings is far superior to mine. but if it's just somethign you want to touch up quickly this is the lazy way to do it :). Doesn't ALWAYS work, of course. There is also a button to get a profile of that selection and then apply the filter according to the profile.

dlv

It's also useful to smooth over edit points

Whenever you do cut and paste editing, there's always the chance that you'll end up with an audible "click" or "pop" where the two parts joined. Zoom in on that part, highlight it, and then click on "get click information" from the click/pop remover, and then click "ok.". It often does a good job of smoothing over edit points and even removes sudden unwanted transients. Don't overuse it, though, because it will degrade the audio.

An easy way to cure almost all clicks and pops, is to do this.

Record around 5 seconds of nothing but silence.
Save as I believe fft. file, save as "silence".

Then, once your ready to start working on a single track, just go to noise reduction, load profile "silence", and it will take out all the background noise in your track.

Peace.

The Click and Pop remover is just that it removes clicks and pops, It will clip the top right off a high hat at 50 paces and give you that vocal tunnel effect although lol. If you want to use it effectively use it directly on the click or pop makeing sure not to get much before or after, it needs a little for comparison to be able to transform/synth the sound to an approximate match. If you are useing it on a old record Don't there is another plugin called click fix that is more accurate and don't damage the file as much not to mention 200 times faster.

shAkEz_gk An easy way to cure almost all clicks and pops, is to do this.

The noise reduction will only get rid of very light crackle mabey but your method of getting a noise sample is accurate and is probably the best way to get a noise profile that won't make the sound bubbley. The hiss reduction can also be used for light crackle and probably a better choice also useing a profile gatherd the same way as the noise profile.

"AudioMaverick"

If you are doing vinyl get the formentioned plugin I think that there is a demo you can only do like 30 seconds or so but it works much better then the one in cep it will still take some sound with it but does not seem as noticeable then the one in cep . http://www.jdklein.com/clickfix/

Back