Can't hear signal during input!! Only afterward.

Mountainmirrors

kaleidoscopic renegade
Hi! I'm having a problem since upgrading to XP from ME.
My CEP seems to work fine...but when I mic something, it registers on the meter and plays back nicely. But no monitor sound....
My Delta 2496 works with Vegas on input, though...
I've posted this before...no luck finding the input monitor settings! Can someone walk me through this step by step?
Thanks!!

If you can't hear what you're recording as you're recording it, it might be a soundcard setting or it might be a Cool Edit setting.

Try Cool Edit first. Click Options>Device Properties>Wave Options. What have you got selected there for your playback devices?

A similar thing to look at is: Options>Device Order. What's the first thing on the list for playback?

Which should it be? It's got Wave Mapper, Delta ap1/2, Delta ap multichannel, or Delta AP s/pdif...
I noticed changing this in Vegas fixed it (so I assume it's not the soundcard). But it seems like I've tried every combo...

I Have the same issue. I thracks I already recorded play bach when I record new tracks but I cant hear the new ones. A problem for me since some of my drums are electronic and I dont hear them when I play. I have a Delta 1010LT soundcard and I figured it had something to do with the patchbay/router settings but I can't get it to work.

"Which should it be? It's got Wave Mapper, Delta ap1/2, Delta ap multichannel, or Delta AP s/pdif..."

Forget Wave Mapper - it sounds lousy. And forget about spdif if you're gonna be miking things, cuz spdif is for digital transfers, not analogue. So that leaves the two Delta options. But I don't know your Delta card, so I don't know what to advise. Try the Delta ap 1/2 first, and see if that works. If it doesn't, then try the other setting. If neither of them work, then it might be a soundcard setting that you have to deal with. If that's the case, you'd probably get way more help in the computer and soundcard forum.

Found it, Mr. Kwik!!
Click on the sound card (M Audio for me) icon in your control panel.
On your "monitor mixer" tab, raise your volumes to -12 to -6 (in there), apply that.
Then go to "patchbay/router". And check off "monitor mixer" instead of "WAV out".
I hope that solves your problem, too!!
Psyched to have CEP back... Vegas don't cut it for me.
Thanks for the help, Dobro!

I tried that and thats already how I have it set. I'm stumped. I can hear previously recorded tracks fine while recording, and they play back fine. Just cant hear the armed tracks while recording. There has got to be something in cool edit that Im missing.

Huh? Your system's playing stuff from the disk to your headphones, but the stuff you're recording to disk isn't coming through the phones? That's very weird. Look, if you're hearing the already laid down tracks, then it seems to me that Cool Edit is set up okay.

Hmm... my soundcard (a dinosaur, I know) has got a setting that controls which channels I can monitor stuff on. Same with your card?

Ya , my card is a M-Audio Delta 1010LT. It has its own control panel and patchbay/router where I can set which inputs go to which outputs etc. I have been all through the book and far as I can tell it should be working. I have the outputs for each track in CEP set to 1/2 out. I figured that there was a setting in cool edit pro to allow you to monitor tracks while recording or something of that nature but I sure cant find it. If I don't get it figured out I guess I can run a pair of the outputs from my drum module into my headphone mixer and monitor it that way. Thats really the only thing I need in the kans since the guitar tracks or whatever I'm tracking over are there. I know I have to be missing something simple though.

Not sure if this applies to you but... I had the same prob. Ended up going to the Windows mixer and sliding the WAV slider down lowering the volume of the already recorded tracks so I could hear the track I was recording. Using W98SE.

I don't know if this has been answered yet but here's what I use with the Audiophile 2496 and CEP 2.1 in Win XP:

In Delta Control Panel...

Monitor/Mixer: Boost all levels.
Patchbay: Select Monitor Mixer

In CEP...

Device Properties...

Wave Out: Select M Audio Delta AP Multichannel
Wave In: Select M Audio Delta AP Multichannel

This should work. It's basically the same setup that Cakewalk uses with this card.

Adrian W. said:
I don't know if this has been answered yet but here's what I use with the Audiophile 2496 and CEP 2.1 in Win XP:

In Delta Control Panel...

Monitor/Mixer: Boost all levels.
Patchbay: Select Monitor Mixer

In CEP...

Device Properties...

Wave Out: Select M Audio Delta AP Multichannel
Wave In: Select M Audio Delta AP Multichannel

This should work. It's basically the same setup that Cakewalk uses with this card.

Just as a clarification on my above post:

M-Audio says the "M Audio Delta AP Multichannel" option is intended for PC's having more than one sound card. They weren't clear on what other option to use instead but this is the only one that worked correctly for me. My PC has Soundmax onboard sound, which I've disabled in the bios. I haven't completely removed the drivers though so that may be why the Multichannel setting works. Probably doesn't matter as long as multitracking works as it should.

The answer is very simple... instead of plugging your mic and/or whatever you have running to your system into the mic postion... plug it into the spot labled "line in"... the only problem with doing so (or so i've had) is that it only records into the left side of the track - what i have done to fix this problem is to change my recording pref. to mono. and thats it man - you'll be able to hear yourself aswell as the playback.

Back