Anti-reverb? voice that sounds distant

jackstpaul

I use CEP 2.1 Windows 98 350mhz 8 gig HD. Basic setup with a few direct-x plugins. Used CEP 1.2a for 2 years and just "upgraded."

I did an interview with someone that I recorded on a digital microrecorder, then recorded into CEP, and their voice sounds distinctly "distant;" they were about 8 feet away from the machine. I'm editing out my voice leaving only theirs and want to make their voice sound not-so-distant. I'm experimenting around with parametric EQ and such. The reverbs don't help--it seems like an "anti-reverb" is what I'm looking for. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this or suggestions to make. (Been able to do great job cleaning the noise up with Sonic Foundry plugin). Usually use Cooledit for music; first time use for just voice.

Thanks for any comments.

If it's on the track, I can't think of anything that would take it off. You might try using some very extreme compressor settings (like the CEP vocal presets) combined with a gate...but it would probably still have a certain "missile silo" effect to it.

Good Luck,
Chris

Excessive use of noise reduction can sometimes squash reverb, but then bubbly artifacts can become a problem.

I would say EQ as much of it out as you can, and compress it. Not really much you can do about that really. I for one HATE Noise Reduction, you can get just as good results if you compress/gate it and use a FFT filter on it

Back