what program to use

jp11801

I need a new program for comp recording, lost reg numbers moving and demo copies are expired. I am a guitar player that typically uses drum loops and I lay down my own bass track. I want to get into keyboard and will probably go with a midi virtual synth set up. Has anyone used home studio or Guitar tacks pro and what did you think? i have used calkwalk products before and love the interface.

If you lost the reg numbers, I'd call the manufacturer and get them replaced. If you gripe loud enough, they'll give them to you.

However, for virtual Synth type stuff, Cubase is the king. There are many more VST synths on the market than dXi instruments (for Sonar). You can get converters to make VST instruments work as DirectX instruments, but they don't always work very well. You could probably get a copy of Cubasis (the stripped-down version of Cubase) for much cheaper - like a hundred bucks or so.

You could also get a copy of Wavelab, which supports VST instruments. (a bit more expensive though).

Just for the record, I like Sonar over Cubase by far, but I wish it had the VSTi support that Cubase does.

I use Cakewalk Home Studio 2002 and I think its a pretty powerful program for the money.It should be able to deal with everything you mention and still have capabilities for you to grow into.It has 24/96 capabilities(depending on your soundcard of course),comes with a few soft sythns,uses DX pluggins and comes with session drummer(I dont use it as I already have a drum machine).Speaking of pluggins check out Dialogues Blue Line,very good and the price is right!

Back