weak snare

carvin

I am using Sonar 2.2. I tracked a band about a week ago and the snare is real weak. The rest of the kit sounds great. This is the first time that I have had a problem with the snare and the band does not want to retrack. Is there an easy way to replace the snare with a midi snare? Any help would be great.

If the snare is on it's own track, why not just bump it up? I assume it's not, so to add a midi snare, you'll have to use a trigger to lay down a duplicate snare-only track, not an easy thing to do. You might also be able to bring out more snare on the existing track with some EQ.

You can try sending an AUX send from the snare track out to a compressor (parallel compression) and step on it hard and bring it back along side the dry snare. Or send the snare track to speaker (like and Auratone or the like) laying on its back, set a snare drum on the speaker face down and mic it. Mix that with the snare track to taste. I've even hand placed snare hit samples through a tune before. Tedious, but doable.

along with these 2 good ideas possibly get Drumagog. A great drum replacement program. Uses present waves signals as trigger for real acoustic or synth drums. GREAT. About 300 bucks

The snare track is alone. Each drum is miced so beefing up is an option but it still sounds a little thin even with reverb. I did replace each hit with a midi hit and it was very time consuming but sounded great. I like the snare on the speaker idea. I am definately going to try that.

Hey carvin, if you're still looking for options, a while ago I put together a list of free drum replacement plugins, a few of which generate midi notes based on the incoming signal level.

If you need free snare samples, you could do far worse (depending on your source material) than the free NS Kit

I'm looking for something similar as well...

I have a few tracks that the drummer was singing and the snare became inconsistant. I need the snare to keep the same volume.
I need a plug that when replaced, the snares velocity will stay the same throughout the track and doesn't change like the original.

I tried the demo of drumagog but I didn't see an option to do this. It just plays like the original...

Any Ideas?

Also, the website for drumtrig seems to be down. Is there anywhere else I can DL it from?

I'm looking for something similar as well...

I have a few tracks that the drummer was singing and the snare became inconsistant. I need the snare to keep the same volume.
I need a plug that when replaced, the snares velocity will stay the same throughout the track and doesn't change like the original.

I tried the demo of drumagog but I didn't see an option to do this. It just plays like the original...

Any Ideas?

If he is playing a consistent pattern ( minus fills), you can easily cut and paste. If it is just a measure here and there, delete those measures, copy a good measure and paste it in.

Another option is to automate the snare and bring it up on those weak hits. It might do the job, or it will allow drumagog to do the job better.

If he was singing and the vox are bleeding through, its a different story.:D If they arent, then I suggest experimenting with cut and paste. I have become quite good at it lately.:D You do lil tiny fade ins/outs at the beginning and end, and it works like a charm.

Highlight the track, go to process -> audio -> extract timing. Adjust the settings and use the audition button to make sure you're getting clean hits, and click ok. It converts the hits to midi notes and copies the data to the clipboard. Just paste it to a midi track and you're all set.

if the snare is its own track couldnt you just dump it into sound forge or cool edit pro, increase the volume/gain and dump it back in?

I am using Sonar 2.2. I tracked a band about a week ago and the snare is real weak. The rest of the kit sounds great. This is the first time that I have had a problem with the snare and the band does not want to retrack. Is there an easy way to replace the snare with a midi snare? Any help would be great.

also, i dont know if you have c4 (compressor) but, you should probably try running a C4 on the snare track, or on the drums if the snare isnt separate, should do nothing but boost the right freq's, aside from that you could retrack a snare with your own abilities, just mic, and play only snare parts, that way you get the velocity changes and it SOUNDS real. thats my only advice here...but good luck, hope it helps!

Back