Using X3 Producer - Need MIDI help

thundercage

Hello, I'm using X3 Producer and I have always done strictly audio recording in the past. If all I want to do is create MIDI tracks for drums and synth, what equipment do I need? Or can I do what I need with X3? I currently have an on board sound card but not sure what I need. I know very little about MIDI any good books out there? Any suggestions would help.

Method 1
Insert -> SoftSynth - TTS1
It will insert a bunch of tracks - one of them will hold your midi drum info - I think it's track 10.
Open staff view on that track and write in notes on the staff (drum sounds).
Easier way in to import a midi drum track already built (find one on the net) into the track in Sonar and then edit it in staff view.
Once you've done this once it should be pretty easy.

Method 2
Insert SoftSynth - Session Drummer
Same deal here except you import drums samples (wave files) from the Session Drummer library provided by Sonar.
The you basically import these clips in the order you want them and then edit accordingly.
This is too hard to explain in writing so I would do what I did - look at a Youtube video that explains Session Drummer.
There's a few out there but not hard to find the good ones.

Sonar X3 Producer came bundled with many soft synth... For drums you can use either XLN Addictive drums or SI Drum Kit. To load them, on top menu click Insert --> Soft synth --> VST2 and select the soft synth. You may then prompted to also create MIDI track with the synth.

BTW, how do you want to "record" the MIDI part? You can either "draw" the MIDI notes on Piano Roll View, insert drum patterns from files into the track in the main view (drag and drop or whatever the soft synth allows you to load pattern) , or even record the drum part using external MIDI controller. The third option requires your computer to have MIDI port attached to eternal MIDI controller.

Back