Using HS2002 to control POD

punkin

Univalve & Avatar Speaks
Anyone found a patch or a trick to using HS2002 midi out to control a Line6 POD yet?

I believe it's a different kind of MIDI, not sure whether the Pod 'speaks' computermidi. A friend of mine has a Digitech processor you can control by midi, but that's not the same kind of midi either. It's like 'guitarprocessormidi'... :)

Hey punkin, it's true that POD has MIDI capability and you can make a communication between POD & Cakey. So, what they can "talk" each other ? limited. Keep in mind that tt's not quite like plug your guitar into POD, hook POD's MIDI out to HS2002 MIDI in, and record your guitar playing as MIDI tracks... :D It won't. However, you can dump your POD's setting and recorded as "System Exclusive File" via MIDI to HS2002.

Here's the example of using it...

Let say you load a particular "clean" sound in POD. Save the patch. Go to POD's MIDI utillity page (...not sure where and how, I don't own one :D)

Go HS2002, and View--> Sysx. Open the Sysx dialog, and click Recieve Bank (in SONAR it's C button).

Recieve System Exclusive will pop up, select <You start dump on instrument>, click OK, then HS2002 will wait for any incoming data transmited via MIDI. Still with me punkin ? Good...

Back to POD, start dump. If you do it correctly, then you'll see HS2002 recieves ......bytes of data. Name it. Save it as .syx file. Here you finish the first task.

Now, open one of your song, and insert MIDI track assign to channel 1. Can you do that ? good... Now go to piano roll, and insert one note on... say Measure 6. Yes, just one note on measure 6. Whatever the note.

Now, View --> Event list. You now see the note on it below "kind". Double click it, it will open the "kind of event" pop up. Change from Note (under MIDI) to Sysx Bank (under Special). Click okay. Now you've assigned some sysex bank to be called &transmited when the song hit measure 6. Understand the concept ? good... Keep goin'. Did I miss sumthin' :confused: Oh, yeah... don't be such hurry closing the Event list. Remember, whatever number apear under "Data", it means which bank will be called on that point (measure 6 in this case). Leave it 0 (zero). We'll talk about it later...

Now, go View --> Sysx again. Load the saved .syx into Bank 0 (That's why I said leave it zero...). Can you do that ? Good... Click Output (P button) and assign it to MIDI out port which leads to POD's MIDI in. Here you can tell that your POD's MIDI in now has to be conected to one of those HS2002 MIDI out. Dont click the Auto. Just don't.

Not sure of something ? Change the patch on your POD, just change it... Then click Send on Sysx view,... The POD now must recieve the Sysex, and change it's patch back to the "Clean" sound you've saved before. Now close all view in your HS2002 but Track view... Rewind. Change POD's patch to some kind of distortion or sumthin else than the "clean" sound. Go play the song along with your giutar connected to POD... when it hit Measure 6, it will change the patch in POD to "clean"... There you don't have to stop playing guitar to change it's patch... Can you get the idea ? Great... :D

Once again, I dont own any POD nor HS2002 (I use SONAR anyway), so I can't tell you much about how to set them propherly, I just explain the basic concept in Cakey's side... Back if you have any difficulties... Hope it helps.

;)
Jaymz

PS, Next time, try not to double post will ya ? :)

Thanks James!

My biggest desire is that once I have song mapped out in cakewalk, I could get it to change some of my POD settings in stead of having to reprogram my foot boards and tap in an out. Home recording keeps you pretty busy with all the other stuff already.

I'll give your advice a shot.

thanks

Punkin,

your idea should work. The floorboard simply sends MIDI information to enact setting changes, so if you can do what you want to do on the floorboard, you should be able to do it via MIDI through HS. The key is figuring out what commands need to be sent to the POD to do this, since I think that the MIDI dump (which was terrifically described by James Argo) sends all 36 banks simultaneously, and I don't think that it sends a program change (to select a different setting). I'd bet that a little searching at www.line6.com, and maybe an email for some info from them, would hook you up. And if so, please share!!!

-mg

I was just figuring that out... You're right, James did an excellent job. His directions makes quick work of loading up all the POD channels on a song by song basis. A very handy technique and works like a charm.

I'm looking into a way to use the HS midi out to act as a stomp box for me with pre-programmed channels selected in POD.

Thanks again James!

Back