updating and upgrading system for SONAR 5 PRODUCER EDITION

vicpasta

I'm upgrading my old XP pc and need to know what type of sound card i should get to work with Sonar 5 Producer edition.
I've heard that internal sound cards have been replaced by better usb sound cards. Is that true? If so what type would work best for me.
I mostly record audio (vocals) with backing tracks, so it's pretty simple.
Victor

The answer depends on just what you are doing with Sonar. If you are recording multitrack music you are going to be less than pleased with the performance of any internal sound card. You really want an audio interface that is external to your computer that provides direct monitoring from the interface.

The answer on "What would work best" really depends on your budget. One that I have had good luck with is the Alesis IO|2 for around $70. You can get something better for under $150 like a Scarlett 2I2. I generally use a Roland VS-100, which gives me 6 inputs and real nice preamps and integration into Sonar. They originally cost around $600, but have been discontinued so you can find significant deals for them.

I would strongly recommend that you get an external interface WITH ASIO DRIVERS FROM THE MANUFACTURER (not ASIO4ALL). It will make a real difference in how satisfied you are with any DAW (Not just Sonar).

Glen

You should also seriously consider upgrading your software. Even Cakewalk's entry level program (Music Creator 7 for $40) blows away Sonar 5. You can install it over the top of your Sonar 5 and maintain access to all of your old VSTs and Synths. Designed to be compatible with Windows 8 and 10.

I had problems getting a newer USB interface to work with Sonar 8, which is newer than the one you're expecting to use. I also don't know if Sonar 5 will even load on a newer operating system. You should consider a Sonar/DAW upgrade as well. You don't need the full Producer edition to record a few tracks, which will help save you money on the upgrade since there's no discount coming from such an old version.

Back