Undoing Slider automation

Khompewtur

*Retired*
Hey there folks,

I'm relatively new to using cakewalk and I have a technical question if anyone might be able to help.

I'm trying to mix this song I have and I keep noticing that the sliders for the tracks keep returning to certain fixed positions every time I stop playback and restart it.

I figure I must have activated some sort of record automation of the mixer controls, but I have no idea how to turn it off. Also I have created volume envelopes within the original tracks that I'd like to keep.

Is there any way I can turn off the memorized positions on the sliders so I can remix, while still keeping the volume envelopes I set within individual tracks?

Also, what activates this "memorized" slider position?

What program are you using? PA9 or Sonar?

There are a couple of buttons in the Console View that are associated with automation. One is the snapshot button and the other is the record automation button.

If I remember correctly, in PA9 when you record automation it inserts another track in your project (I think it is labeled Console Automation or something similar). I'm pretty sure if you just delete this track, your automation should go away. Since your envelopes are on the audio track itself, they should be OK. (Try it, and if it doesn't work, exit without resaving the project.)

It seems you have found the magic of envelopes. As such, don't ever open Console View again. :)

hahaha true dat

I'm using Pro Audio 9.

Yes it's true, i've found i have a helluva lot more control with setting up the envelopes than just the control panel.

Does the envelope just control what percentage of output set on the control panel is used?

For example, if I set the control panel slider at the maximum position, will I be able to create an envelope on the track and go even beyond these levels by raising the volume envelope? Or does the envelope merely mirror the range found within the control panel and is just a graphical representation of the automation

Anyway, I didn't see any extra tracks for automation, but If I catch them next time I look I'll be sure to zap them. For a minute there I was afraid I'd have to delete all my envelopes, set my control panel levels again, and then begin reapplying all the envelopes. ugh!-

I haven't used PA9 in a couple of years, but my recollection is that 100% setting (or 0%, I forget how the scale is set) on the evelope is equal to the unity setting on the fader.

using an envelope will override manual control of the fader. If you are using a volume envelope, then that is controlling the volume, and any adjustment of the fader will be overridden by the envelope

Yes, but in PA9 I believe you could have both Fader Automation and a Volume Envelope.

In Sonar they are one and the same. IOW, if you record Fader Automation in Sonar it will simply show up on your track as an envelope.

I don't think that is how it was handled in PA9.

dachay2tnr said:
Yes, but in PA9 I believe you could have both Fader Automation and a Volume Envelope.

In Sonar they are one and the same. IOW, if you record Fader Automation in Sonar it will simply show up on your track as an envelope.

I don't think that is how it was handled in PA9.

my bad: I only know SONAR

If you are looking at your mixer, place your mouse over the
fader and right click. A window will appear with options like (set start, set end, etc), and down near the bottom is "Edit Automation data". select that. Another window will pop up with a graphic representation of you automation. There is an eraser there so you can erase all the automation for that channel. Be sure to right click in the fader, or else you will get something different.

Well after investigating more last night it looks like dachay2tnr had it down.

The automations affected the percantage output of the level set on the fader. A 100% level on the automation was not necessarily the maximum output of the track.

There was some icon on the top that I had clicked that kept a snapshot of my fader settings. I unclicked it and was able to reset them.

I think the way Sonar is doing it sounds like the right way, but it would make it even more powerful if you could record your manual fader manipulation during playback and have these rendered as recorded automations. It does that right?

But anyway, my original problem was solved thanks for the help everyone.

Khompewtur said:

I think the way Sonar is doing it sounds like the right way, but it would make it even more powerful if you could record your manual fader manipulation during playback and have these rendered as recorded automations. It does that right?
Yes, Sonar will do that, but why on earth would you want to. Trying to manipulate a slow responding fader with a mouse in real time is simply NOT the way to automate. Use the envelopes and stay out of the Console View (it will make you go blind!).

Faders are great for analog mixers. Envelopes are where it's at with a DAW's.

You will thank me someday, grasshopper. :)

Back