Transfer a session/tracks between computers

As you may have seen in my other thread, I'm tracking on one computer and mixing on another (previous projects were tracked on a DP24), both running X2.
Is there an easy, or approved method for moving sessions/tracks between 2 computers?

I assumed X2 would have some type of "Session export" tool, but I'm not seeing one. I am able to bring the entire project folder to the mixing computer, and edit the session, but we have a lot more tracking to go. I also know I can easily import track by track, but what about punch-ins? How do I get over-dubs and punch-ins to line up correctly?

My only idea is to note the time/position of the curser when I punch in, then set my cursor to that spot on the mixing comp and import. That seems pretty brute-forcey. Is there an easier, more reliable way?

I'm skeptical of bringing the entire project back and forth, but I guess that's another option.
Thanks y-all,
-j

If you've got Sonar setup to use per project audio folders then just copy and paste the whole session folder to a thumb drive to move it back and forth, I do this all the time.

Thanks for your input Strryder. I may be mistaken, but I believe once I load the session file onto the computer without the inputs, i'll loose all of the interface channel assignments. When I bring the session back to the tracking computer, I'll have to re-assign all of the channels, is this correct?
-j

Yes, you would lose the input assignments, but if you've got say, 16 tracks recorded at your tracking location then take the project to your mix computer, you could just set the inputs on the tracks that you're done recording onto to "none", no need to reassign them all again, unless you're gonna re-track everything.

I never use bundles anymore as well as they get corrupted when I port them between my friend's laptop and mine. I now zip the entire folder and copy that to my drive.
The inputs are moot as the tracks are never punched in our case. We either record a new track, or comp what we have.

Thumb rive works for me.

The other thing that works for me is that I always record onto a removable drive. So I can just unplug the drive from one computer and plug it into the other.

Yup. Moving the whole sessions makes the most sense. I'm not sure why I was so hung up on maintaining the input assignments, I'm not recording those tracks again anyway.
Thanks for all the suggestions!
-j

Back