Track Automation Problems with Pro Audio 9.03

monkeyboy32

During mixdown, for some reason Cakewalk is adding track automation changes to tracks at random (volume change, pan changes, send volume changes, etc) even when all record automation is turned off.

I'll even erase the automation data, and it'll re-appear!

Is this a bug, operator error, or is tech support just going to tell me to upgrade to Sonar?

Thanks.

Operator error. Although in your defense the handling of automation in PA9 is not the most intuitive thing I've ever run across.

I'm sure that somewhere along the line you either have recorded automation or taken a snapshot. You would be wise to stay out of Console View and work with envelopes in the Audio View to handle automation. (I do realize it is not ENTIRELY possible to stay out of Console View in PA9, but try :) ).

Alright then,

Maybe you can help me out where I'm making a mistake. . . at no time am I ever using record automation, or snapshots. I've never turned it on, yet console automation is still happening.

In fact, as your advice states, I much prefer to use envelopes, and only use the console when needed.

So, can you tell me where the automation instructions are coming from?

As stated, I suspect you did it in error by clicking on an icon without realizing it and without meaning to.

The bigger question is how to get rid of it. It's been awhile since I've used PA9, so I'm thinking out loud here.

1. I assume you do not have an extra track in Track View labeled Console Automation or something. If so, delete it.

2. Take a look at the Event list. I don't recall whether automation or snapshots show up in the Event list, but it's worth checking.

3. Try going to the spot(s) in your project where the controls change. Reset them to where you want them and take a new snapshot.

Maybe someone else has other ideas.

A bit more info here, i'll be more specific

Any console automation track (which has mysteriously appeared a couple of times, again without doing any record automation or snapshots) I've deleted.

However, my problem deals specifically with track automation, in which you can edit by right clicking on the track in question, which will bring up a toolbox to add, edit, delete vol changes, pan changes, send vol changes, etc. Since, I don't want anything here, I'll erase the change in question.

I'll then go back to mixing, I'll notice the change not there anymore, which is what i want. Noting that I've already had automation problems I just seemed to fix, I will make damn sure not to hit the snapshot or record automation buttons again.

I'll do some more mixing, and lo and behold, the volume changes on the track without warning. This time, in a different place in the song. This will happen maybe a dozen or so times with several tracks during mixdown, on every song I've mixed on ths piece of software.

The only way I know how to turn on-off the automation is either the record automation or snapshot button on the cosole view, which, as I stated earlier, I avoid like a plague. If there's any other way to turn this off/on that I might be hitting, it's possible but I don't really see where I'm hitting it.

Has anyone came across this before?

BTW, thanks for the input so far, dachay2tnr.

Re: A bit more info here, i'll be more specific

monkeyboy32 said:
Any console automation track (which has mysteriously appeared a couple of times, again without doing any record automation or snapshots) I've deleted.
Well, that would be an indication to me that somehow you are recording automation.

The only way I know how to turn on-off the automation is either the record automation or snapshot button on the cosole view, which, as I stated earlier, I avoid like a plague. If there's any other way to turn this off/on that I might be hitting, it's possible but I don't really see where I'm hitting it.
Don't recall in PA9, but in Sonar there is also an automation toolbar that can be displayed in Track View. Go to the Toolbars menu and see if there is a checkbox for an automation toolbar. If so, click it on and off and watch the screen to see what appears and disappears.

Did you also take a look at the Event list?

Back