thinking of leaving PTMP, sonar 7?

pg4c

not actually leaving PT as I will keep it for compatibility purposes, but Sonar 7looks very intriguing. Any former pt users here that now use sonar?
can you comp tracks, consolidate multiple takes into single take.

not actually leaving PT as I will keep it for compatibility purposes, but Sonar 7looks very intriguing. Any former pt users here that now use sonar?
Yep, easy.

D/l the demo and try it out.;)

Yep, easy.

D/l the demo and try it out.;)

except Cake doesn't have their Sonar 7 demo out yet..

But as a Sonar6pe user...yes you can do all that.
At the cakewalk forums, Sonar7 has just made 'em all giddy over there. Seems like it has been a good upgrade.

ver 6 does it just as well with only a few enhancements. I'm thinking there is a ver 6 demo.

naw...when version 7 came out, they no longer sell 6.... or demo it. The 7 demo should be out in a month or so, if you go by the past scheduled releases.

I have really yet to read about anyone regretting getting Sonar. A couple of install problems cropping up now and then, but it has generally seemed to be user error.

Don't ask me about installing EZD:eek:

I've got 7 PE, and actually for me, it wasn't a huge leap up from 6 ... largely because I don't go that deep into the programs huge feature sets.

Yet, 7 is better. It's faster. Bouncing tracks down takes half the time from previous versions.

The synth sets and new plugs were worth the cost of the upgrade alone. They're really good, and I'll continue to support Cakewalk as they upgrade their flagship product. To me, it's worth the investment.

I suppose someday I'll use some of the extra features, and be happy they're there when I do ...

Best,

Kev-

I switched from PT 6 to Sonar XL way back in the day. Sonar is easier to use, sounds better, comes with WAY better plugs/instruments. The only thing PT has on Sonar is the TDM/HD stuff which is obviously cost prohibitive for most anyone on this board.

I'm a Pro Tools user for compatibility purposes (though it does have some nice features too), but one thing I always liked about Sonar, was how you could get waveform previews for all the buses and synth outputs.

Also, that automatic midi controller mapping thing sounds pretty handy.

even with sonar 5 you can layer say a vocal track on one track and easily comp it.

even with sonar 5 you can layer say a vocal track on one track and easily comp it.

and to add, when you use track "layers" the mute tool can work to highlight the "take" you want to keep, and it automatically mutes ALL the rest (in that time frame). Makes it really easy to pick phrases, say if your vocalist did 3 or 4 takes, and you can choose which section you like best, very easily. Works great for gtr leads, anything...actually. Then all you have to do is bounce, if you want to get rid of all the muted stuff, and the bouncing has a window with all kinds of options too.

I usually work that way w/ vox.

I'll do 3-4 run throughs, mute the full track sections, break the phrasing up into clips (each then become muted themselves), and then use the mute tool to unmute and listen to the various takes.

Once I've compiled the vocal, I'll then grab each of the selected lips and assemble a master vocal track ... which then gets the full effects treatment.

I then archive the remaining tracks as backup.

Best,

Kev-

Back