Switching EQ on crashes Sonar

Serratus

Hi all,
Bought Sonar 7 Producer recently and am running it on a new quad core PC running vista 64-bit. I have an Emu 1212M sound card running out through the adat connectors to a behringer ada8000 audio interface, and using asio. It's taken me a while to get it all working properly together and I'm nearly there now, but I still have one problem.
Whenever I'm playing back a track in Sonar, if I go the the mixer view and click the button to switch on a channels' EQ, then Sonar immediately crashes. I can use a plugin eq with no problems but it'd be nice to get this problem fixed.
Anyone had a similar problem or know of a solution?
Cheers

Hey, i occasionally have the same problem, but only if you switch on with audio running. Try stopping audio BEFORE you turn it on? That always worked for me. SONAR seems to be fairly temperemental with its errors, sometimes they happen, sometimes not. I also had trouble recovering the computer after that crash, you can't stop the process "SONARPDR" - until you turn off your interface/audio engine. Anyway, anyone else who could shed some light would be much appreciated!

Is this a case where the added load maxes the system out (would it be RAM where this stuff runs? As in sometimes you're running along with almost too many things open, then..? Or just this eq?

Don't know about the original guy, but I've got a fairly decent system, and i've tried just running in 30 plugins (all different) and none of them cause problems, even maxed out (some freqanalysis can be quite heavy if you crank up the precision!). It's just the built in eq. Even running eq plugins of similar or more detail do not crash it.

Funny I never had a problem like this with my analog setup!!!! HEHEHE! Could it be a conflict with another program? When I bought my PC I had the same trouble every time I tried using my printer. It was a conflict with the software update. For what it's worth. Good luck.

To the OP:

Are you running straight 7.00?
Is it the x32 or x64 version?

If I remember correctly, the 7.01 update fixed some crashing issues when the EQ was switched on post-FX... Both 7.01 and 7.02 corrected many performance related issues...

I would try applying the updates and see what happens. If you are already running the latest patches, I would log a ticket with Cakewalk support... They can check various log files and perhaps ascertain the culprit...

Hi all,
Thanks for the advice so far. I have a quad core system with 4Gb ram and the crash happens with one audio track and no plugins with all 4 processors at less than 1%, so I guess it's not a system performance issue!
I have the x64 version and had applied the two patches before I started, so that didn't sort the problem.
I do wonder if it's a conflict with my soundcard somewhere. I have an emu 1212m which has it's own mixer running all the time, which is why I'm dubious about that.
The system still has a few programs on it that came pre-installed so I may try uninstalling all of them first, and changing the antivirus (I hate them!), etc.
Another thing, I didn't want to connect this system to the net, so I haven't been able to update vista to the latest version either, which I guess may fix some problems.
I guess the next step will be to contact cakewalk about it to see if they can find the cause, if none of these things fix it.

I have the same problem with several others as well.
I am running XP64 also on my sonar daw.
I believe when 7 shipped they were no longer supporting
XP according to their documentation.

It discussed me so I went out and bought a mac, a duet
interface, and Logic 9.
I really wish they would would get some of the monster
size bugs out of the software releasing it on the public.

I'd really like to just dump it all together but I have a lot
invested in other programs and VST's.

Back