Strange feedback loop or delay while monitoring recording with Cakewalk HS 2002

gonpostal

Can anyone out there explain this one. I just upgraded to HS 2002 two days ago. I recorded three separate clips of classical piano in a track with no problem. The following day, I was attemping to add a fourth and experienced what seemed to be two separate but identical signals playing back through the headphones, one slightly out of sync with the other, not unlike a heavy delay effect. All effects were off. I was sending audio from my keyboard to my Roland USB interface as I've done for two years without problems. I went ahead and recorded the piece anyway. It recorded fine. Only the usb sound card of the Roland interface was activated and Cakewalk only allows playback from one sound card at a time. What could cause this strange Cakewalk phenomena?

The phenomenon is called latency

You are recieving the signal both before and after the Cakewalk console. You can disable input monitoring in cakewalk. This should fix it. I don't remember exactly how right now (Audio Options maybe), but it should be in your manual.

Chuck is right. Its under OPTIONS->AUDIO->INPUT MONITORING

You need to unselect your cards input port on the list.

feedback loop

Thanks. Actual, I did find it in the manual after posting. My new problem is that my computer crashed when I shut off the input monitoring. In fact, it crashes virtually everytime I try to record with a mic. I like the real time effects processing of 2002 but the program seems much more unstable to me.

No, it certainly is not unstable!

I run HS 2002 on a PII, 400 meg with 760 Meg Ram, win 98. It uses the same coding as Sonar, with stuff stripped out.

I think your system needs tweaking, go to Options >Audio> and tell us what your settings are. In particular, your input buffers, buffers in playback queue, position of slider and the value at the right hand side of the slider and the effective latency value just underneath the slider. Mine is hard over to the left and buffers in input queue is 16, but before I had the ram increase from 128 Meg they were set at 2048! It was the only way I could get it to play back without drop-outs occuring. Value of effective latency is 1393.2 msecs @44kHz.

Try moving the slider to the left and increasing the buffer size, drasitically if you have to. 2048 was never in the manual!!! But it worked for me.

Also, describe your system in your posts, its a good idea whenever you are looking for help from this forum to include those details.

Hope this helps.

Got enough ram Paul?

I always thought that any ram over 256MB was overkill. Are you really getting a noticeable performance boost? Also does it help your plug-in count?

Paul881 said:
No, it certainly is not unstable!

I run HS 2002 on a PII, 400 meg with 760 Meg Ram, win 98. It uses the same coding as Sonar, with stuff stripped out.

I think your system needs tweaking, go to Options >Audio> and tell us what your settings are. In particular, your input buffers, buffers in playback queue, position of slider and the value at the right hand side of the slider and the effective latency value just underneath the slider. Mine is hard over to the left and buffers in input queue is 16, but before I had the ram increase from 128 Meg they were set at 2048! It was the only way I could get it to play back without drop-outs occuring. Value of effective latency is 1393.2 msecs @44kHz.

Try moving the slider to the left and increasing the buffer size, drasitically if you have to. 2048 was never in the manual!!! But it worked for me.

Also, describe your system in your posts, its a good idea whenever you are looking for help from this forum to include those details.

Hope this helps.

I have the same system. except that I'm using XP. I have had no problems with HS2002 in the 6 months I've owned it

Back