splat users ??

mark skinner

I've been running 8.5 for a long time and been pretty satisfied , but ready to upgrade. I downloaded CbB and I'm just wondering what 3rd party plugins I didn't get , that you think "You" really couldn't live without... I'm using some reaplugs but really interested in getting some better mastering tools that were included in platinum. Thanks ... MS

Not exactly the answer you’re looking for, but the plugins I can’t live without for mastering are the Waves stuff. Which, of course, doesn’t come bundled with Sonar.

In particular, their limiter - the L1 or L2 - and their multiband compressor - C4 or C6.

I see they have a Mastering bundle on sale now for $139, which includes the L2 and what they call the linear phase multiband compressor (which looks like the C4 to me), plus a linear phase eq (ok, but nothing that special). Worth every penny if you ask me, if you plan to do your own mastering.

Edit: btw, I would use these on a stereo track of your final mix. Wouldn’t advise trying to use them directly within your mix file. IOW, export your mix to a 2-track stereo file, 32 bits, and then reimport that to Sonar. Use the L2 on the output bus to raise the volume and drop to 16 bits. The others to color and season the mix to your liking.

I don't use many Cakewalk specific/bundled plugins. Mostly Waves and some other products, VSTi are other products. Channel Tools is really the only thing and I have a Waves plug I could use in place of it. I used to frequently use Breverb, and I'd still consider it a decent reverb tool but I have several others now (again Waves products) that I find are better overall.

I have been considering Sonic Forge .. but looks like I should take a closer look at waves products . I failed to mention I have a few metering tools and my Melodyne imported with the download . Thanks for the reply's and info .. MS

I like the ProChannel a great deal. In particular I use the the tape emulation and the console emulations, EQ and compressors quite a bit. I also use the ReMatrix plug on a reverb bus using some custom vocal plate IR's I found somewhere. I'm also a pretty big fan of the Nomad BlueTube plugins. Love the track box plug and the limiter for that warm sound.

I own a boatload of Waves plugins and they're good but I can get most everything I need done out of the plugins that came with Platinum. I do use Izotope's Ozone 7 for mastering but to be honest, my masters made before I picked up Ozone are pretty darned decent.

Thanks for the reply's . I'm having fun with the Th3 plug in and finding plugs I can use that came with this stripped down version. I found I could click "see all" on the plug in lists , and in th3 and see all the plug ins that I didn't get. I'm starting my first project after building some drum and backing tracks in 8.5 , We'll see how it goes .. Thanks .. MS

Back