SONAR w/ EZ Drummer

P

Phyl

Anyone else had problems installing EZ drummer? I get about a hundred "internal error 2908" messages, then it says the installlation is done.

When I open SONAR and tell it scan for new plug ins, SONAR can't find it, but I can see the files are installed. It doesn't show up in the synh rack either.

Toontrack is damn near impossible to get a hold of.

Phyl said:
When I open SONAR and tell it scan for new plug ins, SONAR can't find it, but I can see the files are installed. It doesn't show up in the synh rack either.
I assume you mean that you opened the VST adapter?? :confused:
I had no problems installing. I have EZdrummer and the DFH expansion.

DavidK said:
I assume you mean that you opened the VST adapter?? :confused:

Correct.

It turns out the installer wasn't loading the dll file; once I dragged/dropped it into the toontrack folder the vst scanner found and loaded it fine.

I sent an email to toontrack concerning the "internal error 2908" messages. I supect it's some sort of registry issue but they haven't responded.

Additional frustration - In order to register ez drummer you have to create an account on the toontrack website; this involves filling out an e-form and then you wait for them to send you an email with contains instructions for activating the account. Once your account is authorized you can register EZ Drummer. Two days after filling out the e-form I still haven't received the authorization email.

I've never heard a bad thing about these folks, they must be having server troubles or something.

Phyl said:
Additional frustration - In order to register ez drummer you have to create an account on the toontrack website; this involves filling out an e-form and then you wait for them to send you an email with contains instructions for activating the account. Once your account is authorized you can register EZ Drummer. Two days after filling out the e-form I still haven't received the authorization email.
Yeah, the registration blows. Fortunately, you dont have to register the expansion packs, they just load and dont even require a serial number.

No problems here at all. EZDrummer with DFH and Vintage Rock expansions. I insert it into the synth rack and I'm good to go.

I also have BFD, which I love and use for actual recording. I use EZDrummer for demo work and small stuff.

I had the EXACT same problem. No .dll file loaded. FINALLY...it went to my Steinberg folder, which I learned Sonar will do (learned at the Sonar forums). Nothing like installing it a couple times :rolleyes:

However...

Besides the agonizing registration, my DVD player didn't want to "see" the DVD. Fine on all my other DVD drives, but not my recording computer. FINALLY, all of a sudden it worked and I could install it.

Now... my "FREE" expansion pack I got (good thru May). I got the DFH expansion and my DVD drive doesn't wanna see it either. Finally after leaving it in the drive for about a 1/2 hour, ...bingo, it came up... But then only loaded half the program before is stopped responding. As I am typing this, I am actually still waiting for my expansion DVD to be recognized so I can try it again.

EZ drummer....yeah right(for installation). Sounds great, however, once I spent the EVENING trying to get it going. I hate just sitting at a computer waiting on stuff like this. Makes ya practice guitar!! :D

btw...I am using an external USB Lacie DVD drive. Installed Sonar like a champ. Likes to ignore Toontracks.

Last edited:
Talked with a Sweetwater rep from East/West...and they seem to think the DVD is bad and they are sending me a new FREE one....

I'll post back... :)

I had no problem installing it in S5SE on x64 and it survived an upgrade to S6SE. It actually works a *lot* better with the 6.2 patch. Before 6.2, if you loaded a project with EZ Drummer already in it, it wouldn't load the samples until you opened the EZ Drummer window, and then sometimes it couldn't find the right EZX. This was a Sonar problem, not a EZD problem, and Sonar fixed it in the 6.2 patch.

just an update. The rep at Sweetwater for East/West sent me a "new" DVD for my DFH exp pack....which my DVD drive would not recognize my original "factory" DVD. They sent me a "homebrew" DVDr... but it worked right off the bat. Thought the fact that they sent me what looks like a "homemade" copy was kinda lame, but at least I am finally up and running.

btw... I think EZ drummer is pretty nice....just wish you could tune the drums...like you can with the Session drummer 2 in Sonar. I realize you can pitch change a drum individually, but certainly not as intuitive as listening to the kit in a mix and changing the pitch until you arrive at your target pitch. I mainly miss that on the snare and kick... well the toms too!!

Back