Sonar 3 vs Cubase SX

Frantz

Hi there,

Very sorry for such a basic question but I'm just starting with recording on PC.
I'd like to know which you think is best between those 2 software ? and in a few words why ?
Or let me know if you already spoke about that or if I'm in the wrong place of the forum.

Thanks in advance

Frantz

it's not so much that you are in the wrong place, but i think you wll probably get some biased answers seeing as the people in here use sonar. Personally, i don't much experience with cubase but i think it is a solid program. I chose sonar cause i like it's layout better, i find the cakewalk website to have much more supportive information, and it was cheaper for me.

If you are new to recording, why are you planning on getting the most expensive programs? maybe you won't enjoy it as much as you think, and then you will be out 500 bucks insted of 200. I would suggest looking at homestudio by cakewalk or cubase SE maybe. But hey, it's your cash.

I don't have any experience with Cubase either, but I know that a lot of people seem unhappy with the support and bugs they seem to find in it.

I've been a loyal Cakewalk user for a long time now and I've always felt they offered a lot of value even if their programs might be slightly behind the feature-set curve of other vendors. I also think that, with each new release, they get closer and closer to Steinberg and E-Magic.

Bottom line is that Dar might be right. If you are new to this, it might make sense to start with something less and upgrade. Cakewalk always offers very fair upgrade pricing.

There is no question that serious work can be accomplished in either program. As always, it's up to you, the program is only a tool.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Ted

Frantz said:
Thank you very much for these informations guys !
Really helpful !

Take care

Frantz

Frantz,

I think you missed the point in the first e-mail.

Do have a look at Home Studio 2004 as another option.. it's Sonar 3's brother (however they are almost the same size). It's not as expensive as Sonar 3 and you get to learn the joys of recording on a PC to make sure that's what you want to do and achieve. Home Studio 2004 uses the same audio engine as Sonar, plus when you are ready, you can upgrade to Sonar at a discount cost :cool:

Porter

Back