SOnar 2 Automation

Toki987

Rock Steady
I have gotten to a point where I can't manually cover the level changes in the tracks for everything I`m trying to do as I mix to stereo. I need to start using automation, and know absolutely nothing about it except I saw my faders change one time when i first got Sonar and I turned it off. I haven`t even read the docs on it yet. I`ll be reading them when I get home in the a.m. I thought I`d check with the "oracle" before I did so I would recognize alligators in disguise before they jumped out on me. Anyways, here goes my questions to yall good folks if ya don`t mind. :)

1. Will automation remember my level changes on an individual track regardless of how many times I re-play the session?

2. Will automation allow, and remember changes in inserted effects in different places on an individual track?

3. can i turn it off and on for individual tracks so it doesnt fight any remixing I might want to do?

4. will it do midi program changes on an individual track, and in realtime as I mix down a session to stereo?

thank you in advance
Toke

Last edited:
Mr. Toki -

I have one word for you............ envelopes.

If you want to automate volume, pan or effects I strongly suggest you get familiar with envelopes. They were designed by God and delivered by angels to us undeserving mortals.

The learning curve will take you all of about 20 minutes (probably less). You can use them on a track, on a bus (for sends and returns), or on the VMain (say for a fade out).

To set up an envelope, right click on the waveform and choose Envelopes > Create Track Envelope and then select the type of envelope (volume, pan, etc.). Once you do this a colored horizontal line will appear on the Track. This is the envelope. The default starting point for the envelope will the whatever setting you have already established for the Track.

For ex., if your Track Volume was initially set at -6db and you created a volume envelope, the envelope would default to -6 db. Now start playing the song. When you get to a part that needs a volume change, stop the song, and double-click on the envelope at the point you want the change to occur. This will place a mark on the envelope called a Node. (You can also do this by right clicking and choosing Add Node). Now place another Node directly next to that one.

Start playing the song again until you reach the point where you want the volume to return to it's original setting (or to some other setting), and add another pair of nodes at this point.

Place you cursor directly on the envelope at any point inbetween the two inner nodes. Left click and hold, and you can drag the envelope up or down. Up will increase the volume, down will decrease the volume. For now, let's lower the envelope another 3db to -9db. Now start playing the song from somewhere before the first node, and you can now hear the change. If you find it is too much, just drage the envelope up or down until you get it to where you need it.

As stated, you can do this for both volume and pans. You can also do it for FX, but only for those FX that have this feature designed in them. All the ones supplied with Sonar that are preceeded by Fx are "automatable" in this manner (e.g., FxReverb, FxDelay).

Good luck.

Right Honorable dachay2tnr,
I "see" exactly what your saying and it makes perfect sense to have written the software to do exactly that. Envelopes, a novel concept. I haven`t started reading yet, but I won't be hunting stuff that I`m not sure about what I`m lookin for, or how to find in the first place now. I thought about the program change thing too a bit, and it would make more sense for me to copy to another track what I wanted to be played with another instrument at that point, off the same melody line midstream, rather than even risk thinking of program change. I could use the "define click point and drag method" for each tracks envelope to manage the transition from one instrument to another, and manage the end point of one track and the beginning point of the new as needed...as well as for Fx.
Thanks for pointing this large assed snake I was standing on out to me. It could have bitten my leg off!!! :)

Toke

Last edited:
This is the stuff :).... I got the track and the vmain squared away, the buses are another issue as far as dealing with the effects, and the envelopes of them. Really easier than I thought it`d be. I`m just used to looking at dial and digit counters for effect amplitudes. Its been along time since seeing things or "drawing pictures" in the "ARP" mode of linear 2d envelope shaping.
Thank you Dachay8tnr

Toki987 said:
Thank you Dachay8tnr
Did I get a promotion? :)

Sounds like you're getting it Toki. Computers can do things that analog consoles cannot. Envelopes are a great example and it sure beats riding faders (particularly trying to ride faders with a freekin' mouse).

Busses take a little getting used to. However they are great for unifying your mix (e.g., putting a little of the same room reverb on everything) and also for saving on processor power.

Alot has to do with the specific effect you are trying to achieve, so nothing is gospal, but in general here is what I would recommend for busses:

1. Click the FX tab at the bottom of track view and the go to the track you wish to work on. Enable the bus by clicking on the box next to it's name (A1, A2, etc.). The "light" will go on. Raise the send level directly to the right to 0.0, and click the "pre/post fader" box to the far right to read "Post." This will allow the track fader/volume control to control both the volume of the track and the volume going to the bus.

2. Patch an effect onto the Bus and set it to 100% wet.

3. Play the song and go back and adjust the Track send level downwards until you are hearing the right amount of effect.

4. Repeat for additional tracks you want to use the same effect on (except, of course, you can skip step 2 for these).

You can control the amount of effects on the entire mix by adjusting the send and return settings on the Bus itself. Control the amount of effects on any individual track by using the send setting on the track.

All of these controls can be automated by using envelopes, if you should want to make changes at certain points in a song (e.g., increase the reverb during the chorus).

dachay2tnr said:
Did I get a promotion? :)

hell, why not! sorry 'bout that :)

------------

dach': You can control the amount of effects on the entire mix by adjusting the send and return settings on the Bus itself. Control the amount of effects on any individual track by using the send setting on the track.

"I had been trying to do this in the control surface view instead of track view, this just puts you on a tiny virtual board trying to "mouse ride" the faders and sends while summing to their respective buses in mixdown. I`m using a lot more tracks now and this was gettin to be headacheville."

dach' :All of these controls can be automated by using envelopes, if you should want to make changes at certain points in a song (e.g., increase the reverb during the chorus).

"This is the part I was losing most the sleep over, all my thinking vision was on an analog board. Drawing the envelope for level change at the desired time is really so easy and simple, like any other midi event inserted at a point in time. I think I lost some more hair over this though" :)

I really appreciate the help and patience. Maybe I`ll get a few better and faster laps in now before I hit the wall again somewhere else on the track. :)

Drawing the envelope for level change at the desired time is really so easy and simple, like any other midi event inserted at a point in time.
Plus it's visual! You can see[\i] what's happening as well as hear it. :)

And, yes, you should be working on the Aux Busses and VMains in Track View. Stay out of Console View or you'll go blind. :D

dachay2tnr said:
And, yes, you should be working on the Aux Busses and VMains in Track View. Stay out of Console View or you'll go blind. :D

Thanks to Dachay, I now have 20/20 Vision. Also, thankfully, I have lost the portion of my memory that would remember any part of Sonar other than Track View.

"When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave..."

:D :cool: :p

-BM

Back