Short Question re: Drumming in Piano Roll View

jumpingpound

I have a real quick question regarding drumming in the piano roll view:

Supposidly, to go into the drum mode for MIDI, one goes to the piano roll view. Then, you right click on the left hand side of the screen (the piano keys), and reassign the note names with a drum kit of your choice. My problem is that the note names change to the different drum sounds, but when I play them, they are still the same old piano audio. Is this a glitch in the program, or am I doing something wrong? I have tried this several times and re-read the help column, to no effect.

On more general terms, I find all the drum kits far too mechanical and sterile for the type of music I'm recording, which is guitar, bass, and vocals. Does anyone have general suggestions for humanizing the drum sounds? I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Jumpingpound

Idon't know what system you have, soundcard and software but the following should help.

First you have to ensure that the right instument output is assigned. (Not the same as instrument as in "Patch") In Piano Roll, right click over the piano keys. The correct instrument has to be assigned. If it isn't check "Use Assigned Instrument Settings and Configure". A dialogue box will appear that allows you to assign the correct output instrument for your drums. If your drum is a soundfont, you will need to connect to the "Soundfont Device" instrument for your system. Don't forget to check the box "save for next session".

You can also assign instruments in the track view. Select the correct clip by clicking on its title bar and then right click> select Track Properties and then assign the Output of the device.

Let me know how you get on.

On the question of the midi drums sounding too mechanical, first make sure you have a good drum kit loaded. To do this I recommend the following post which is well worth following. I can also strongly recommend the drum soundfont Alan suggests using. Its become my default kit.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=39305&highlight=great+drum

Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply Paul.

I have done as you said, but still, the same old piano sound. What is even stranger is that if I open the tutorial files, the drums work fine.

As I said, the keyboard view does change to the drums, but the sound does not.

Maybe I should re-install?

Can you describe your set-up, also, what you are using to play the midi notes (drums).

Can you also state what your drum midi channel set-up is as defined under track properties.

And in Piano Roll view, what your Assigned instrument states.

Thanks

Paul

Set the track for channel 10. This is the default drum channel in midi. Use varying velocities for a more human feel and don't program something a human could not do, like hitting hihat, ride cymbal and snare on the same beat. If you can get a drum pad kit (velocity sensitive), that would help a good deal as you could record in real time, but I've done a lot of good piano roll drum programming myself. If you can get some .wav's of cymbals, use them as no sound card or drum machine I've heard has decent ones.:cool:

Good post Chuck. Learn something here every day. Are there any other default channels in midi?

I'm still trying to figure my problem out, mostly because I just got the program last week and am still familiarizing myself with it (Home Studio 2002 - I know, I should have bought Sonar, but cash was a little tight).

I've switched to MIDI 10 and everything else suggested, but still can't get it to work. I'm probably doing something really simple and stupid here. Paul881, I will post the info you requested when I've got the time.

Jumpingpound,
Are you using a Soundblaster? If so (even if not, I guess), I can tell you what my settings are (ports, channels, patches, etc). Maybe that can get you started. The piano sound is telling me that at least your soundcard synth is working. That's good. Don't beat yourself about not getting Sonar. My understanding of HomeStudio is that you have all you need for midi and and audio. Maybe not all the bells & whistles, but the interface is the same.
Paul,
I don't know of any other channels, but in the old days (like the '80's) keyboard controllers sent on channel 1 and, uh, channel 1. That's it.

Back