Recovering Reverb Settings

dachay2tnr

One Hit Wonder
I opened up an older project today. The project used the Sir 1.005 reverb on it. I got a message when opening it that Sonar could not find the Sir 1.005 reverb.

Well, of course, it can't, cause I now have the Sir 1.011 reverb installed. :mad:

I have no problem substituting the 1.011 for the 1.005, but I need to now what the original settings were: what impulse file, the wet/dry ratio, and any other tweaks I may have done.

So I got the bright idea to rename the dll file. Lo and behold, it worked. I no longer get the error message when opening Sonar. :)

However... when I open up Sir from inside Sonar, none of the settings are intact. I *suspect* that this is because at one point in time I reformatted my hard drive, and when I reinstalled, I put the impulse files on a different drive/folder.

Short of moving all the impulse files, anyone have any ideas how I can recapture the original settngs? Even if I move the impulse files (which I really don't want to do), I am not sure I can remember what folder they were located in.

:( :( :(

I think you could be stuffed.

The only thing I can think about is to search the registry for any instance of 'SIR' and see if you any of the keys contain the old folder setting.

The only other thing I could think of would be to copy the old file to a new file name and then open it in a text editor. From memory, the .CWP file refers to each plugin by it's HKEY entry in the registry. Perhaps you could then create a new .CWP file and look at it in the editor. Then add SIR and look to see what HKEY entry was added to the .CWP file. Then change a SIR parameter and see what is updated/changed in the .CWP file.

From the new file you might be able to work out what piece of the SIR interface changes what value in the .CWP file. By referencing the original file's HKEY settings for SIR, you might be able to re-create the settings.

Or maybe not... I haven't done this, but the info has to be stored in there somewhere.

Good luck!

:) Q.

Thanks for the thoughts, Q. They didn't seem to work, as I could not even find a listing for SIR in a text version of the cwp file.

Also, the registry search won't work, since I reformatted my hard drive. That's what actually caused me to relocate the impulse files in the first place.

Bottom line, is I can simply reset a new reverb. I was happy with the old settings, but whose to say I can't be happy with new settings. :confused: :D

Did you make a preset?

I think they will migrate through version changes,so in the future you may want to make presets rather than rely on the programs recall through the host application.

acidrock said:
Did you make a preset?

I think they will migrate through version changes,so in the future you may want to make presets rather than rely on the programs recall through the host application.
I tweak these things so much that my hard drive would be full of presets. :) Although it's not a bad thought. At least when I'm going to put a project away for awhile.

I do this all the time with Wavelab on my mastering settings, but you're sort of forced to, since Wavelab doesn't save any settings UNLESS you save them as a preset.

Back