recording vocals

cland

I have a question for you guys. I"m pretty new to homerecording, but i 'm working on an album i' already have the beats. Now is time to record the vocals.
I have a Behringer hooked up to the aux2 of my Soundblaster drive. Every time i record the music i have to select DIGITAL OUTPUT ONLY in my soundblaster card mixer for the music to record decent without much distortion. i record the music to Cakewalk in track 1. NOw i want to record the vocals on track 2 so i have to play back the music right? (still with me?) But remeber in order to record good without too much noise i have to choose DIGITAL OUTPUT ONLY in my soundblaster card mixer. the problem is that when i do that the music tha i'm playing back to record the vocals i wont be able to hear. I have recorded before without activating the DIGITAL OUTPUT ONLY button and it and the vocals record fine but i feel there is too much noise stil. i know if i record DIGITAL OUTPUT ONLY i wont get as much noise. but the problem is how am i going to hear the music to record the vocals.
I hope you guys can give me some suggestions

if i wasn't too clear let me know

cland

Can't help you on your existing setup, sorry. But if you're really going to record an "album" it's time to get rid of the soundblaster and purchase a "real" recording sound card. One with about 4 inputs, and more important the ability to record and play at the same time. (see??) You will also then need to setup your software to record and play at the same time. Good luck!

YOU ARE RIGHT I DO NEED A DIFFERENT SOUNDCARD, WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND. WILLING TO SPEND UP TO 400 DOLLARS.

SORRY I DON'T KNOW MUCH.

HOW ARE THE EXTRA INPUTS GOING TO HELP? ME IF I JUST CONNECT MY MIXER TO INPUT OUTPUT OF MY SOUNDCARD AND I CAN RECORD IN 16 DIFFERENT CHANNELS

THANKS
CLAND

HOW ARE THE EXTRA INPUTS GOING TO HELP? ME IF I JUST CONNECT MY MIXER TO INPUT OUTPUT OF MY SOUNDCARD AND I CAN RECORD IN 16 DIFFERENT CHANNELS

Yes, but then all 16 channels are going to be on one track in your recording software.

There are two ways to get each individual instument on its own track:
1. Record them one at a time, or
2. Record them simultaneously using a sound card with multiple inputs.

If you plan on recording each instrument one at a time, then a card with a single input is fine. However, if you want to record say a 4 piece band and give each instrument its own track, you'll need a soundcard with 4 inputs (and even then, you'll have to record all your drums on one track).

Figure out what you need to record and how you plan to work, and that will give you an idea of how many inputs you'll need on your sound card. In general, the more inputs the merrier (provided you've got the cash - but then that's always the trade-off ain't it :) )

BTW THERE IS NO NEED TO SHOUT HERE, WE CAN HEAR YOU.

Anyway, if you still want to use existing SBlaster, better check your kernel mixer (taskbar, right next to the clock) if the noise really bothering you. I know SB has few Noise to signal ratio, but usually, generaly, it wont bother you that hard, unless you do some sonic detail work.. Check the mixer, be sure to mute everything (CDAudio, Mic in, Spkr, Aux,etc...) except your Line In for Playback & recording and Wave Outfor playback. I found most of the noise generated by unmuting mic / CD audio...
Record ONLY with your Line input, NOT the Mic Input... use external Mic Preamp (your mixer must have it...)
:)

First of all Mr Argo is right, use the windows mixer to enable recording from "I2s-Line in/Line in 2" only, not microphone.

Second, I don't know what soundblaster you use but I have had two of them, an AWE 64 and then a Platignum Live! and both were very noisy, I could never record at full gain on the Live! cos it was so noisy.

Now I use a Delta 66+ omni and the silence (in the quiet bits) is Golden:D

So I would look at a card in the midiman range, a 2496, a delta 44 or 66. With the addition of the omni breakout box, it gives you lots more options and excellent xlr ins.

Check them out:

http://www.midiman.net/

Back