Project 5: should I?

cstockdale

supafly killa homey
Okay, I am running Sonar 2.2XL, currently using Reason v1.0 rewired. My Evolution MK249C controller does not seem to work correctly with Reason in ReWire mode with regard to assigning knobs to features in the NN19 Sampler or the synth in Reason.
I also hate the pattern programming interface for the ReDrum unit in Reason.

The way I program drum tracks is with pattern brushes, session drummer, or just straight piano roll clicking with the DR-008. It works okay by me. Recently I started using the Slicy Drummer, but the demo has timed out on me now. I also am about to need to buy a VST wrapper for VSTi things, as the DirectiXer is about to time out too in the next two weeks.

Without Project 5 in mind, my needs are this:
VST-DX wrapper (~$50)
SLicy and Fill-in Drummer (~$120)
LivesynthPro upgrade ($65)
DR-008 upgrade (~$50?)
Total: $285

However, now there is this new deal until April 20 to get Project 5 for $249. It seems to me that I can do pretty much everything with Project 5 that I could do with the above upgrades and way way more.

It seems to me that Project 5 will fit the bill...

anyone..everyone...please tell me why I should or should not do this?

If P5 does all that and it's cheaper, it's a no brainer. Plus it's the latest stuff. No matter what you do though, there will be something new next week, and you will always be buying something.

ain't that the truth? There is always something new to get. I have been in the game for about a year now, and would love (albeit impossible) to reach a point where I could be "happy" with my software so that I could spend more time actually recording and not "fiddling" with learning something new. That is the biggest fear I have of Project 5: I will have to spend another 6 months just learning how to integrate it and rework all the tunes I have already "done" to reflect the new possibilities.

cstockdale said:
I have been in the game for about a year now, and would love (albeit impossible) to reach a point where I could be "happy" with my software so that I could spend more time actually recording and not "fiddling" with learning something new...

:D :D :D
You're so lucky for just have been there for a year. I was there for total of 12 years !!! :rolleyes: and I found I loose my self a passion of writing a song, instead of pulling all the trigger within softwares to know how they work...:eek: Glad to hear you realize it earlier. Trust me, save your money, go buy some fender stratocaster, and do a good lick. This is never ending war we're talking about... :D

;)
Jaymz

that could be a new thread altogether: the signal path for a guitar!

Epiphone wildkat > peavey ecoustic preamp > johnson j-station > spdif to Audiophile 2496 to Sonar (dry)

+ j-station > behringer eurorack > ap2496 > sonar (wet)

blend two signals or throw out wet signal and work with amplitube to get a new one.

Why not record clean and dirty it all up in Sonar? My path:

Fender strat -> Eurorack MX602A (mixer) -> DMX 6fire (soundcard) -> Sonar.

Now you have a choice of many VSTi's & DXi's to get the sound.

My favourites:
FxEq -> Fx compressor/gate -> MDA detune - > (choice of revalver, amplitube or Trash)
Ozone -> MDA detune

Everyone obey the Microsoft HITMAKER!!!! :D

And please tell me where to find the Rock and Roll edition... :p

P5 special offer

Hi, new around here, just ordered Sonar the other day and am like a kid before xmas day. Anyway read above someone talking about Project 5 for a special price for Sonar users. Where can I find details about this?

Thanks,

Matt

Nothing's better than a Fender Strat!
Only another strat...or a tele...or a Gibson LP:D

I too am looking at P5. I have been demo'ing Kontakt and was really impressed...but am holding fire until I see the reviews of P5 cos it seems to do everything I might need...for now;)

CM Magazine ran a preview in April's edition http://www.computermusic.co.uk/main.asp

You won't be able to read it unless you subscribe or have bought it, but I can tell you it was a very positive review.

my chains are:

Fender Tele>>Mesa Nomad 45>>SM 57>>Aardvark Q10>> Sonar

Jackson Dinky>>Boss OS-2>>Mesa Nomad>>SM57>>Aardvark Q10>>Sonar

But what about...

Splitting the signal before the amp and sending two to Sonar one from the 57 and another one direct?!!

Micing with a 57 a few inches from the cone and setting up an "overhead" say 4 or 5 feet away?!!

Micing with 2 57's one straight in front and another one straight behind the speaker of the mic?!!

Micing the amp with a 57 and placing a nice vocal condenser close to the picking hand near the guitar inside the control room?!!

What a can of worms can open up recording guitars...

Doubling the guitar parts and panning hard left and right for thickness...

Adding delay... to one of them... or both...

Wow, as I write this I come up with new ideas that I want to try out....

Carlos

Back