Problems with Sonar 2.2XL and Emu 1212M

Mr_pink_eyes

I have got a Dell Dimension 4100, Pentium 3, 866 Mhz, 512 MB RAM running Windows XP Pro. I’ve been trying to use this machine as a playback/ mixdown DAW with Sonar 2.2XL (I do all of my actual recording direct to disk on a Yamaha AW16 then export the tracks into Sonar).

I recently purchased an EMU 1212M sound card, thinking that It would help to enhance my performance on the PC by processing effects in the integrated DSP. However, performance hasn’t been improved, and Sonar actually freezes up when I play back even four (count'em - 4) measly tracks. The WDM drivers do not work at all, and although things seem to start out smoothly with the ASIO drivers, Sonar actually freezes up, coming back to life occasionally. It even freezes up when I’m going through the Sonar menus to route the tracks.

Has anyone experienced the same thing with an EMU 1212M (or other card)? Any ideas as to what the problem could be? Although my setup is far from ideal, it does technically fit in with EMU’s published minimum requirements; my guess is that my system is not up to scratch.

Any insight appreciated.

Mr Pink eyes

Your machine should be up to snuff. Yeah, the ASIO drivers are the ones to use. How are you setting things up in the patchmix? Do you have one ASIO OUT channel strip and all four tracks are being played to that (or to a bus that plays out to that)?

I'm kind of confused when you say "It even freezes up when I’m going through the Sonar menus to route the tracks." What menus are these? (Admittedly, it's been a while sicne I've done 2.2 XL...)

Thanks for your answer. Sorry for not being clear. I just meant that Sonar would freeze up when I was simply opening files or changing audio options, for example, not complex operations that demand a lot of CPU power.

I have solved this issue by flashing my Bios from V06 to v11 (the v11 addressed issues with soundcard freeze ups) so I can now play back up to 8 tracks (maybe more - haven't tried yet) with no glitches. The Emu has some nice effects in it though and I'm looking forward to exploring.

Thanks again.

Pink Eyes.

Back