Portable Digital Recorders

doc_drop

I am researching ideas for a portable digital recorder to use when I'm not in my studio using Sonar 2. I would like to be able to track different musicians in various locations and import the tracks into Sonar. I would also like to use the unit to play background tracks when I play live. I currently use a CD walkman for this, but it has skipped on occasion. I would like to record high quality audio, and have at least an hour of 4 tracks simultaneously. I've looked at the Tascam, Roland and Korg products that record on smart media, and I'm not sure if these would be adequate.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

The VS-880's can be found for damn cheap these days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1369491933

You can record at least 4 tracks simultaneously and play back 8. To import a track you could use the S/PDIF.

Notes:
The preamps aren't the greatest.
The 880 VXpanded is better than the 880 (software upgrade).
The 880EX is better than the VXpanded (including, among other things, the ability to record at least 6 tracks simultaneously).
Make sure you get the effects card!
An external SCSI drive is almost necessary for backing up your tracks.

Hmmm. I'm getting nostalgic. If I didn't do so much MIDI stuff, I'd possibly be using my VS-880 more often than I do.

I'm with Lopp,I have the 880ex and use it as a mixer for my midi instruments.
The 880 can also be used as a control surface in sonar 2 with 8 pan knobs and 8 level sliders,I recieved the settings from a fellow forumite and it works great.

Most recorders have some type of way to be synced with an external device,it's really a price/features question,what are you willing to spend for how many inputs and what level quality recording?

Price vs features; the constant dilemma! (Not to mention obsolescence.)

I've actually been looking at the Fostex VF-80. It is a little upscale from the Roland VS-880, especially as far as effects and hard drive sizes supported.

That is a good point about using the unit as a control surface for Sonar. I hadn't even thought about. Yet another reason to get the unit. Nothing like a good rationalization tool I always say...

I'll let you know what I finally do.

Hmm. It's very hard to beat the quality of the Roland effects board.

Keep in mind Acidrock is a smart guy as evidenced by the fact he has a green and gold "G" as an avatar. ;)

Good luck with your decision.

I've got a shitload of effects and the Roland effects are the best.
Sonars effects are'nt as good IMHO.
Hard drive size is irrelevant if you're just going to dump the tracks to sonar.

Obsolescence is a marketing scam,with the quality of todays recorders the only limitation is your talent!

I hear you guys. It sounds like a Roland is the way to go. Luckily I lost an E-Bay auction for a Fostex today! I'll keep looking for the Roland VS880. What is the max. price you guys think I should pay?

I agree with you Acid. A great piece of gear is always a great piece of gear.

Depending on your cash, I HIGHLY recommend the 880EX over the EXpanded.

The extra inputs are nice, but the best added feature is the tilted BACK LIT DISPLAY. Belive me, the unbacklit display is a bit of a pain. When the 880 came out the number one complaint was the display.

Best price? That all depends on your eBaying skills. I.e., weighing in a reputation of a seller, weghing in extra add-ons (like a external drive), and especially monitoring prices and waiting for a good buy.

Keep in mind that an external drive such as a SCSI Zip drive or CD burner is extremely useful for backing up your data.

Also, note that files cannot be directly transferred from 880 to PC using a Zip disk, etc. without some tweaking of the directory structure (vsplanet.com has more info on this). You can also transfer the tracks in the digital domain using S/PDIF.

If you get an 880, Acidrock knows the settings for getting it to sync with Sonar and to use the 880 as a control surface in Sonar.
He is a smart Guy even though he thinks Terry Glenn won't be a cancer on the Packers:D :D :D :D

BTW, I HAVE recorded on Sonar and the 880 simultaneously. Playback is tight, too. Good luck!

ChuckU said:
BTW, I HAVE recorded on Sonar and the 880 simultaneously. Playback is tight, too. Good luck!

I used to sync it with ProAudio and it worked ok. I preferred using it with Cubase. However, I've heard Sonar fixed some of the idiosyncratic problems I had with it.

He is a smart Guy even though he thinks Terry Glenn won't be a cancer on the Packers:D :D :D :D

He's a definite improvement over last years corps. However, he's fairly injury prone. Also, I'm kind of leery of so many new receivers. Then again, that's how they won the Super Bowl.
:P ;) :D

My biggest problems syncing Sonar and the 880 come when my latency is too low.

If Glenn's not a head case, he's a real talent. We'll see.

Back