Outboard Reverb thru Sonar Aux Bus

tkingen

Djembes Rock
Hello,

I have an outboard reverb (Lexicon MPX500) and would like to set it up in an aux bus in SonarXL. I'm using a Delta 1010 with no outboard mixer, and prefer to keep it that way if possible. Monitoring is done by way of connecting a pair of Event 20/20's through a Presonus HP4 headphone amp.

To set up an effects loop, I've tried using dedicated ins and outs on the Delta breakout box, as well as s/pdif, (the MPX500 does have s/pdif in/out.) However, the proper procedure seems to elude me.
I've read the manuals, searched this forum, and it does appear that this is possible, but have not seen an exact tutorial on how to make this happen.
I'd deeply appreciate any help that anyone could give me on this matter.

Sincerely,
Terry Kingen

I'd send the just the channels you want to process outboard out 2 of the 1010's outs then record the output of the lexicon back in as a stereo track, that way you can mix, EQ or whatever to the FX when you mixdown.

But that's me.

I do this off the SPIDF jack to my TC electronic M1. You have to tell Sonar that you will be using the SPIDF interface under option, audio. Then it appears on your tracks or busses as a routing option. Route your track to an aux bus that routes to the SPDIF out. Bring the signal back in one of your tracks and select the SPIDF in as the source. You now have out and in control over what gets sent to the effects unit and you can mix the in effects track with the original signal to control how much overall effect you want to apply.

Hope that's clear.

Yea, it's definetely worth it.:eek: I run my lex'ies analog in/out.
Once you get some setups like you like, save them as templates.
If you record the verb' return tracks, then the box gets to be used over again as many times as you like for other effects/tracks, the verb tracks can be tweaked later, automated, they stay with the project...
Are we having fun yet?
:D :D

if you do this and Mix in the box will the reverb applied by the external unit be part of the BTD?

Middleman said:
I do this off the SPIDF jack to my TC electronic M1. You have to tell Sonar that you will be using the SPIDF interface under option, audio. Then it appears on your tracks or busses as a routing option. Route your track to an aux bus that routes to the SPDIF out. Bring the signal back in one of your tracks and select the SPIDF in as the source. You now have out and in control over what gets sent to the effects unit and you can mix the in effects track with the original signal to control how much overall effect you want to apply.

Hope that's clear.

Got ya.

Several options here.

1. record the reverb return to its own track, then mix down the whole song along with this effects track
2. record the reverb return when consolidating to the final stereo mix adding reverb on the fly.
3. Another option is to send the 2 buss out to the external unit instead of an individual track and get an overall reverb on your song.

Lot's of things you can do. In any case you have to build the reverb into the files prior to burning. You cannot add reverb on the fly during the burn if that's what is being asked.

Another approach is to get a SPDIF splitter box so you can send to more than one device at a time. I have not gone down this road yet.

o that sucks...the day they make it possible to use external efx with out printing to tape on an In The Box mix...will be a glorious day...

Thanks for all of the great replies. I have succeeded in making the Lexicon interface with Sonar, and it's great!

Terry Kingen

Back