outboard effects

First of all, thanks to everyone's help, I've completed my first full recording project and seemingly fixed my disappearing audio problem (the update from 9.0 to 9.03 seemed to do the trick)... If you're interested I will let you know when and where you can hear it after I get the final mix. Enough shameless self-promotion... ;-)>

My question now is, how do I add outboard effects to my project during mixdown since the mixdown itself is kind of an invisible, internal process (ie: setting a mix and selecting Mixdown to Audio from the Tools menu). Specifically, I have a BBE Sonic Maximizer I like to use on the final mix (all tracks), but I don't know what I need to do to run the whole mix from my soundcard to the FX unit and back since the mixdown seems to be technically 'inside' CW and not running through anything other than the program? I'd also like to know how to do this with individual tracks and a second FX unit, if possible...

This may be (yet another) rookie question, but your continued advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, The only way I can see to do this, is if you have a mutli channel sound card like layla, and you route each individual track to an individual channel on an external mixer, that input the outs of the board back into the sound card or to a dat or something. Also, if you want to run the whole mix through your maximizer, then why not just mix down to a single file, and then play the mixed track though your maximizer, to some kind of mix down deck or PC.

Just a thought.

Good luck

Back