New to SoundFonts

dmbpettit

I was wondering how to start using SoundFonts, or if I can at all. I use Sonar 2.0 XL and I have a Audigy 2 Platinum card. I don't have any midi equipment, just a mixer, guitars and some amps. What I would like to do is have some drums going on just to fatten up the acoutic guitars that I record. Can I do this with soundfonts? Can anyone help a newcomer out?

Woa! Soundfonts and SB-cards is a long time ago, but I think this could help you. :)

Or you could just wait for James Argo to stop by. :D

Arrange these words into a well-known phrase or saying:

GoldDrums SF2
Hammersound
Down Load
From

:D

I'm sure Jaymz will be able to talk you through how to use them in Sonar with an Audigy2.

(OK Jaymz, the boss has gone now!)

--
BluesMeister

Am I S.O.L. with regards to using Soundfonts with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard? It seems like, from what I've read, I need a Soundblaster or Audigy soundcard... yes? I thought maybe HomeStudio 2002 wouldn't support them, but I see an option (albeit disabled) for Soundfonts under my Options menu. Should I just shut up and try to be happy with my VSC DXi virtual instruments, or is there hope?

Thanks,
-Jeff

Jeff,

There is always hope. :) And it's called a software synthesiser*. Virtual Sampler or LiveSynth Pro will do the job for you. There are probably others, but I think they are the main players that I'm aware of that will handle SFs

Both can be inserted as a DXi in HS2002.

If you don't have a Creative card, keep it that way ;)

*Australian spelling. You may be more familiar with synthesizer :D

--
BluesMeister

Originally posted by BluesMeister

There is always hope. :)

Keep hope alive. :) Good to hear that it can work. Thanks for the info, BluesMeister. Now I just have to wait for approval from the comptroller* on the additional expenditure.

*American spelling. You may be more familiar with wife. :D

Thanks again,
-Jeff

i use sonar and soundfonts all the time, and i don't have any midi equipment. i don't even have the crappiest keyboard you can buy. i wish i had, but i just can't afford it right now. i do all my drum sequencing in sonar clicking away with my trusty old mouse. i use soundfonts either with livesynth, vsampler or bs-1.

How to use SoundFonts as your MIDI Tone Generator in SONAR
I've seen so many people asking about how to use the benefit of Soundfont with SONAR.
I think I'll just write my kind of "Basic tutorial" about it. I hope you can get the idea, and develop yourself with experience.
I'll devide this tutorial by the soundcard you use. The first section is for Soundfonts capable soundcards (Creative Sound Blaster Live! series, Audigy, etc.). And non Soundfonts capable soundcards (M-Audio Delta cards, Audiophile cards, etc).

First of all, if you didn't have any idea what's soundfonts all about, feel free to read this thread.

Now, I assume you basicaly understand the concept of Soundfonts.
Lets go to section 1.

Using soundfonts in SONAR with soundfonts capable soundcards.

- Generaly, you need to install propher driver of your soundcard, and also the firmware (AudioHQ) to tweak the memory setting. Ooh, you did that ? Good. Now go (for example) Start menu --> Programs -- SoundBlaster Live! --> AudioHQ (Or whatever your installation path created). Open it.

Attachments

• audiohq.jpg
    audiohq.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 708
- In Audio HQ, click Soundfont Icon to open the soundfonts setting. Click Options tab. You'll see slider (SoundFont Cache) to assign the amount of memory you will use to load soundfonts. The bigger your .sf file size, the bigger you'll set this amount. For instance, the limit is 127.50 Mb.

Attachments

• slider.jpg
    slider.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 696
- Open your SONAR, and create a new blank project. Go Options --> MIDI Devices. You'll need select MIDI input and output. Creative cards provide you three port options, SB Live! MIDI Out, A:SB Live! MIDI synth, and B:SB Live! MIDI synth. Both A & B are similiar, either will do just fine. Highlight (for example) A:SB Live! MIDI synth. The name shown may be different due to different type of card/drivers version, the idea is to select the one which leads to your card's internal MIDI synth.

Attachments

• select.jpg
    select.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 679
- Have you done that ? great !!! Now lets attach a couple of soundfont files. In SONAR, go Options --> Soundfonts, Select bank number you like to assign, and click Attach. You'll be taken to browse your drives to find the .SF2 file. In my example here, I select bank 3 for GoldDrums, and bank 4 for Sonic Implants Blue Jay Drums. Done ?? Close it.

Attachments

• attach.jpg
    attach.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 676
- Now select one of MIDI Track in Track View. And assign MIDI out to A:SB Live! MIDI Synth.

Attachments

• midi out.jpg
    midi out.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 656
- Still with me ? Good... now you'll be able to chose MIDI channel, then bank, and patch. (the order must be that way... MIDI Out, Channel, Bank, Patch.)

Attachments

• bank select.jpg
    bank select.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 650
- Done ? Good !!! Now go PRV (Piano roll view) and make an auditions. Some Soundfonts being assigned to certain note / range. If you dont hear any sound, try to roll down lower octave, or higher. Certain .SF even assigned to only one single note :eek: !!! If you have any MIDI controller (eg. Keyboard, etc.) connected to SONAR's MIDI in port, you can use it to make an audition as usual... ;)

-Oh, yes... You'll have to make sure you enable MIDI synth playback in your Windows kernell mixer (right click on the small speaker icon in your taskbar clock).

Attachments

• play prop.jpg
    play prop.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 633
Very good work, James! :) :) :) Both thumbs up!

ATTENTION ALL SB LIVE! or AUDIGY-users
Bookmark this page now!

:D

Thought I should place this under the good walkthrough...

...I'll be back for the 2nd section ( use Soundfont in SONAR with non Soundfont capable soundcards) after these commercial*... stay tune ACKUS... :cool:

*Company worker spelling. You may be more familiar with "The boss is around watching you..." :D

SFSG

Hey Jaymz,

So Far So Good!

Now I just know you're gonna pinch SFSG and claim if for ACKUS :D

By the way, I'm the boss in my office. I'm Engineering Manager! ;)

--
BluesMeister

Back