New to SoundFonts

James, can't you open that soundfont in an editor like Alive or Vienna and adjust the tuning? I just downloaded it, but haven't listened to it yet. Is the whole thing out of tune, or is it just certain notes or ranges? I'm pretty certain that you can manipulate the tuning of each sample in Vienna, and Alive is supposedly even better to work with. I'll load it up and see what you're talking about, then try to goof around with it.

ed

What I mean is, maybe you have to adjust tuning on each sample instead of global. If they recorded it with any kind of processing like chorus or something, you might have discrepencies between left an right stereo samples. Maybe I'm full of shit, too !!! I'll mess with it.

ed

Most sampler-software will have tuning-options. Maybe I'll fire up V-Sampler... I'll get back to you, I've got a lot to do next week.

They got it...

Quetion:

At 03:30 PM 2/28/03, you wrote:
>Hi there.
>1rst of all, I want to thank you for providing the Kurzweil free piano
>Soundfont for download. I found it's one of the greatest soundfont
I've
>used. Realistic !!! However, when I use it along with other synth
(Korg,
>Roland, etc), I heard the soundfont is abit out of tune (around
+12 ~ +14 cents).
>I had to "tune" all of my synth to make it "compatible" with the
>Soundfont. I thought it was my synth, but I used 4 different kind of
>external synth to test it, they can't all be wrong do they ?
Curiously,
>I've also recorded the soundfont to audio using audio editor, and
check
>the tune using tune analyzer. The graphical result shows so. Was it
true ?
>It will be great to hear from you.
>Once again, Thank you so much.
>
> >(c:|
>
>Jaymz

Answer:

The piano was tuned to A442, rather than the more common A440, so it is
about 12cents high. It is not correct to say that it is out of tune,
but
rather it is tuned to a different reference standard. I'm not sure why
the
piano tuner elected to use that standard, but he did.
Since I use the soundfonts/samples primarily for solo piano work, this
has
never been an issue for me.
Most of the software synths/samplers have a simple tuning adjustment to
lower the samples 12-14 cents (as you indicate you have done) so it is
easy
to use them with other instruments that are tuned differently in a mix

Regards,
Warren Trachtman
-------

So I guess it answered my question.
;)
Jaymz

James Argo; No doubt you are the computer whiz here!!
Brilliant answers to all kinds of dxi , soundfont , midi etc. questions as well as fantastic tips that the folks at cakewalk should pay you for.

I am very curious???

How do you capture those screen shots of Sonar as above?:confused: :confused: ;)
Once again
Peace
Bill

[Hehe, answering James question...:]

You can use for example Photoshop, or you can press the "Print Screen"-button (look over the "Insert"-button on your keyboard). Open an Image-editor, and press Ctrl+V, and the screen is pasted in to a new Image. Cut it as you like... :)

James Argo said:
- Have you done that ? great !!! Now lets attach a couple of soundfont files. In SONAR, go Options --> Soundfonts, Select bank number you like to assign, and click Attach. You'll be taken to browse your drives to find the .SF2 file. In my example here, I select bank 3 for GoldDrums, and bank 4 for Sonic Implants Blue Jay Drums. Done ?? Close it.
When I unzipped the gold drums and other soundfont files, the file is labeled .sfpack, or .sfark and when I go to assign a soundfont file in HS2004, nothing shows up when I browse to find them.

What do I need to do to fix this problem?

Also, you selected bank 3 and 4 for the drumkits as an example. Does it matter which banks I use for certain kits/instruments?

Also Bank 0 is general midi, can I replace that with a different GM bank?

Thanks

I got the .sfpack to open, having trouble with the .sfark I downloaded a version before you posted and I think it may be an old version. gonna try the one you linked.

Thanks James, I'll be back! :)

Hey James, I put gold drums in HS2004 and I was then going to audition them in PRV like you suggested, but then you said if ya got a controller keyboard you can use that. I'm totally new to all this stuff but just bought a PCR-50 controller and thought "why not hook this baby up and see what happens" So I turned it on and.......... BINGO!...... Gold Drums!

Man, I thought I was going to have trouble doing the soundfont thing, but your tutorial was just great. I do appreciate the valuable info you and all the other's provide here.

When I grow up, I wanna be like you guys! :)

Thanks

I closed HS2004 and then opened back up later, I was going to add a piano soundfont and I noticed that the Gold Drums I loaded was missing. :/
I read something about this problem but forgot where it was.
Can I just make a template, say, with a couple blank midi tracks then load all the soundfonts I want to use and "save it....as"? Then just use the template when I want to do a project?

Or do I need to change some settings somewhere?

rvf263 said:
I closed HS2004 and then opened back up later, I was going to add a piano soundfont and I noticed that the Gold Drums I loaded was missing. :/
I read something about this problem but forgot where it was.
Can I just make a template, say, with a couple blank midi tracks then load all the soundfonts I want to use and "save it....as"? Then just use the template when I want to do a project?

Or do I need to change some settings somewhere?

I think I found the answer in another thread over in computers and soundcards. I think you originally posted it about last year. Anyway, I posted questions over there since this is for cakewalk. :)

Back