New to SoundFonts

Tutorial number two...
(sorry to take so long... :D)
How to use Soundfont in Cakey with NON soundfont capable soundcard.

Using Virtual Sampler (VS 2.74)
Actualy, after I made my version, I found in my archive that the one BluesMeister taught me in the past is better yet more simple to understood. So I just quote it here.

OK James, this is what I do with VS & PA7, you may find you have to vary the procedure slightly, but I reckon it will work:

1) Download VS2.74 from the VS web page. You can Google for Virtual Sampler.
2) Install VS with Virtual MIDI Port option.
3) Open VS
4) Click on the Preset Tab It should default to P1 Bank 0
5) Press the Import Preset button
6) Click on one of your sound fonts.
7) Click into the next vacant Preset position in Bank 0
Repeat steps 5 thru 7 until you have the soundfonts loaded that you want. I always put drums in P10 Bank 0

8) Click on the MULTI tab This now shows Channel/Preset
9) Double click in Channel 1. This opens up the Select Multi Voice dialogue box (don't you love the way we Aussies spell?)
10) Click on the instrument for Channel 1
11) Repeat for all instruments - remember to place the drums in Channel 10

12) Open your sequencer
13) Load a MIDI file
14) Click on each Channel and give it the number of the appropraite Preset (for example Channel 1 in your MIDI file may be Rhodes and Preset 3 in virtual sampler = Rhodes) I tend to use the same Presets for all my MIDI files so that I know what goes where. This is what I use:
P1=Grand Piano
P2=Rhodes
P3=Small Electric Piano
P4=Funky Bass
P10=GoldDrums

When I open up a MIDI file I make sure that Acoustic Piano is Channel 1 in PA7, Electric Piano 1 is Channel 2, and so on :-)

(Still with me James???)

Go to Tools>MIDI Devices and click on Virtual Sampler Internal MIDI as your Output port.

Press Play. You should be listening to those SoundFonts in all their glory.

Hammer Sound do some really good SF2s. And a lot of them are FREE!

Good luck!
--
BluesMeister

Copyright & Author : BluesMeister, THE BOSS.:cool:

How many different soundfonts bank can/should you use and load. If I load too many big ones they stop loading with an error but I can still load smaller one till the memory allocation fills.

I use sb audigy , xp pro, and set the available memory way up to 500 meg but it still doesnt let me use what I select. I even tried editing the parameter which lets you load more in previous versions of windows but its a different setting in xp

I guess The question I have is does anyone know how to tweak the XP windows and audigy to use more available memory?

Thanks
Bill

James Argo: Thanks for the direction my friend. Ill let you know how it works out. So far with this reg hack enabled I get the configuration error: error has occured and windows must close screen when I go to close out of the file But I can get around that I think. I appreciate the help.

Copyright & Author : BluesMeister, THE BOSS.
Nah mate, Bruce Springsteen's THE BOSS! Me, I'm only the Engineering Manager :D

BTW, I'll D/L that MP3 of yours and have a listen. I may even pluck up the courage to post some of my own feeble fret-fumblings.;)

--
BluesMeister

dmbpettit said:
I was wondering how to start using SoundFonts, or if I can at all. I use Sonar 2.0 XL and I have a Audigy 2 Platinum card. I don't have any midi equipment, just a mixer, guitars and some amps. What I would like to do is have some drums going on just to fatten up the acoutic guitars that I record. Can I do this with soundfonts? Can anyone help a newcomer out?

If you want to fatten up just the acoustic guitars, clone your original mono track, pan left and right and then slip (drag) one of the tracks a few milliseconds. This introduces a delay. Make sure the snap to graid icon bottom right is not engaged. A few milliseconds is all you need. Over 8 m.secs it becomes too much like a delay. Hope this helps.

...Yeah, what Paul said. That's for "delay" kinda effect. Drag the second track few ms. And for "Chorus" effect, use the pitch shifter... Process --> Audio effects --> Cakewalk --> Pitch Shifter. Alter the pitch of the second track by just verrry little amount. Say -0.08. It won't causing the track out of tune, instead... you'll hear the guitar sounds HUGE and a little bit chorused....

Hope it helps.
;)
Jaymz

ps. It also work with vocals.

I was checking out the Sound Site last night and downloaded the Fluid III general sound font. Didn't have time to check it out yet. I'll do that tonight. But I was wondering if any of you guys had a favorite BIG soundfont that works for all your needs. The only one I've found that is OK is the "Music Man GM bank" which is also there. It seems to have the best overall instrument sounds. Has anyone checked out that 236.8 meg Crisus General SF yet? That's the biggest one there. Is it worth it? I would like to find a big genral soundfont to use all the time and not have to worry about loading different SF's for different needs all the time.

BluesMeister said:
Nah mate, Bruce Springsteen's THE BOSS! Me, I'm only the Engineering Manager :D

...in other words... you're the boss (...smaller kind, but taller :D). Have you listened to my humble song ? How about that ? When will your turn comes up ? I'm waiting... boss...:D

djc
I never use those big soundfonts. Just the regular. The bigest I've used is one of piano sample (kurzweil ?) I've downloaded somewhere in the old day. Very nice piano, untill I found it's slightly out of tune (-14 cents) :eek: I emailed the maker, and he confirmed that... :( Use Soundfont Loader from Soundsite to change (and save) your soundfonts setting quickly...
;)

James Argo said:
...in other words... you're the boss (...smaller kind, but taller)

Well I'm 1.8m tall (6' in the old money) but there's no one in my office to boss other than me and the lap top!
Have you listened to my humble song ?

I did and I posted my comments in the MP3 Mixing Clinic.
When will your turn comes up ? I'm waiting...
Oh I can see you're in need of a good laugh! I have several candidates for recording. I'll pick what I consider to be the least embarrasing composition then completely ruin it with my dreadful playing. I really am very busy at home at present with work in and around my new house, however, this weekend is a long weekend so I may get the chance to lay something down. I don't have my own website so I've no idea where I could post my tunes. Any suggestions?

Oh, and of course it's OK for you to post my SF2 & VSampler instructions. When I get a minute :rolleyes: I'll do the same exercise for SF2 & VS3.

--
BluesMeister

Hey, Bluesmeister, most people post their songs on NowhereRadio, (NWR) its run by a fellow HoRec'er:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/
You have to register but its all free, its a bit eccentric to use, but a Meister man like you shouldn't have any great problems;)

Paul881 said:
Hey, Bluesmeister, most people post their songs on NowhereRadio, (NWR) its run by a fellow HoRec'er:

Thanks Paul, I seem to be running out of excuses now...:D

--
BluesMeister

Becarefull of soundfonts/samples tunes...

...Yup. I've downloaded some free huge piano soundfont here... long time ago. I know it's kinda the best for my solo piano tunes. Someday, I put it together along with strings and stuff in several tracks. Mixed it, and I heard some instrument is out of tune!!. Gees... I've looked everywhere if I mess with some setting, nope. It's all there as usual. Then I solo the piano track. And play along with it with my keyboard. Strange... it's out of tune. I checked the keyboard transpose / tune. Nothing wrong... it's set transpose +00, 440Hz. So, curiously, I load another soundfont next track. Copy the first track and "double" it. Hmmm... out of tune. Change the soundfont on the second track... still out of tune. Then I went to my keyboard, and try to follow the first track while tuning in global tune mode... it seems +14 cent higher than regular 440Hz. Whoops... If any of you don't mind to check it out... please feel free to follow the link, and free download. It's huge anyway... about 25MB. ... I'm waiting for respond..

I know exactly what you're talking about, James...it's definitely out of tune. But nevertheless it's a great soundfont. Very rich in sound, and real...

Back