Multi-channel audio interface to computer

tappmusic

One of my main restrictions with my computer based home studio is that I can only track one audio source at a time. Is there a good audio interface that will allow me to arm multiple tracks and record them simultaneously (live performances)? I'm using Music Creator. I would greatly appreciate some advice and/or recommendations.

Thanks,
Micah

aardvark q10

its important to note that the company might be out of business.... so support wouldnt be there. however, this does mean theyre going for much cheaper than they used to.

photoresistor said:
aardvark q10

its important to note that the company might be out of business.... so support wouldnt be there. however, this does mean theyre going for much cheaper than they used to.

Aardvark IS out of business.

E-Mu cards have terrible driver issues. I'm not surprised since E-Mu is owned by Creative.

M-Audio has been around for a while and all issues have been worked out with their drivers. I would stick with them.

The Presonus FirePod will give you 8 channels, and the RME FireFace allows for 27.

Make sure that your software can do more than 2x2 I/O as well, whichever soundcard/interface you choose, I'm not sure if Music Creator allows for multiple I/O, the new pro version might tho.

brzilian said:
...for 10x the cost of an M-Audio 1010. :rolleyes:

I agree, it does cost alot, but it is very good quality, and Pro Tools is one of the best software's for recording. The M-Audio 1010 also is a good choice. I was just giving a suggestion.

GOODLAND said:
I agree, it does cost alot, but it is very good quality, and Pro Tools is one of the best software's for recording.
Yes. But let's face it. We're in the Cakewalk-forum, and, of course, the best recording software is made by Cakewalk. So a Delta 1010LT would work out great. :)

:D

GOODLAND said:
...and Pro Tools is one of the best software's for recording...

Thats opinion, not fact.

To tell you the truth, I'm tiredo of people spouting off this crap about AVID, Final Cut Pro, Pro Tools, etc...

Clients may pay more attention to you if you own these "industry standard" apps, but it doesn't mean your work will be any better than if you used something else.

Honestly, I find all Avid/Digidesign apps to have terrible UI design and are a total pain in the ass to use. The same is even true with XSI's Softimage (owned by Avid).

Brzilian, you mentioned about the EMU audio's driver which is "terrible". In comparison, I think Creative is better in making soundcards than other rivals (maybe for gamers). Their software drivers are reliable and installation is no-brainer. So, I don't understand why EMU cards have "terrible" drivers?

According to EMU's specification, their audio cards also have great features (or even better) compared to M-AUDIO. I need to get either M-AUDIO or EMU. Can't you direct me to some websites that have Pro & Con on those cards?

Thanks,
:cool:

music4all said:
Brzilian, you mentioned about the EMU audio's driver which is "terrible". In comparison, I think Creative is better in making soundcards than other rivals (maybe for gamers). Their software drivers are reliable and installation is no-brainer. So, I don't understand why EMU cards have "terrible" drivers?
Have you ever tried using a EMU or Creative card for recording? Believe me, their drivers suck! It's like they just can't write good drivers for recording for some reason...

According to EMU's specification, their audio cards also have great features (or even better) compared to M-AUDIO. I need to get either M-AUDIO or EMU. Can't you direct me to some websites that have Pro & Con on those cards?
Well, I would think there's more satisfied customers using M-Audio cards for recording than EMU/Creative.

I'm sorry if it seems that I'm coming off strong, but I'm getting tired of being tricked by EMU when they're promising "the ultimate card for home studios". Actually, the SB Live! was pretty good in it's time considering the price and the competition, but that is beginning to be a long time ago. :)

music4all said:

Thanks,
:cool:

For one, EMU cards don't do WDM....

Just wanted to chime in with another suggestion...

Echo Layla 24/96 or the new Layla3G. If you look around you can find a Layla 24 cheap since they were discontinued recently. But Echo is still in business and still offers support for it. It also comes w/ free recording software.

brzilian said:
Thats opinion, not fact.

To tell you the truth, I'm tiredo of people spouting off this crap about AVID, Final Cut Pro, Pro Tools, etc...

Clients may pay more attention to you if you own these "industry standard" apps, but it doesn't mean your work will be any better than if you used something else.

Honestly, I find all Avid/Digidesign apps to have terrible UI design and are a total pain in the ass to use. The same is even true with XSI's Softimage (owned by Avid).

If Pro Tools is such a pain in the ass then why do so many Pro Studios use it?

I find it to be one of the most easy recording softwares to use.

maybe for the same reason that people use microsoft even though the linux, unix, and mac operating system architectures are better.

maybe for the same reason that many government agencies insist on Intel when AMD whips their a** with some of their chips...

because its the industry standard, and customers want to feel like they are getting a professional service for their money.

pro-tools was arguably the first widey used and accepted digital solution that would be considered 'pro', and the pro-tools HD/SW combination is still one of the best; however, there is a difference between the pro-tools HD/SW combination ($10,000+) and the pro-tools SW. IMHO, sonar's UI is better than pro-tools UI, and as PC power makes it increasingly capable of handling the rigorous demands of PRO-audio, the line between semi-pro and pro narrows.

GOODLAND said:
If Pro Tools is such a pain in the ass then why do so many Pro Studios use it?
Because Pro Tools were among the first recording packages. And the first with good hardware.

But that was a long time ago. Now we have easier and better software to use. :) Have you tried editing MIDI with Pro Tools?

moskus said:
Have you tried editing MIDI with Pro Tools?

I have a couple of times. Works fine.

crosstudio said:
maybe for the same reason that people use microsoft even though the linux, unix, and mac operating system architectures are better.

maybe for the same reason that many government agencies insist on Intel when AMD whips their a** with some of their chips...

because its the industry standard, and customers want to feel like they are getting a professional service for their money.

pro-tools was arguably the first widey used and accepted digital solution that would be considered 'pro', and the pro-tools HD/SW combination is still one of the best; however, there is a difference between the pro-tools HD/SW combination ($10,000+) and the pro-tools SW. IMHO, sonar's UI is better than pro-tools UI, and as PC power makes it increasingly capable of handling the rigorous demands of PRO-audio, the line between semi-pro and pro narrows.

I see what you mean.

Back