Midi drums, midi keys, Sonar 2 problem

Cartwright

Hi Everybody
Using Sonar 2 for my sequencer, I have one track setup as midi for my Roland TD-8 V Drums that I play/record via MidiMan 2X2 interface, with no problems. I have another track setup as midi for my old Roland Juno 2 keyboard that I play/record with via Santa Cruz soundcard with an XG daughterboard, with no problems, EXCEPT, if I want to use them at the same time, with another musician, or if I'm alternating between the two tracks when I'm by myself. No problems using them one at a time, I just cannot figure out how to get them to play on their own dedicated tracks. The keyboards will play on either track. Same goes for the drums, except the V-drums will play keyboard sounds on the keyboard track. How can I keep the 2 tracks from overlapping / interacting with each other, and just get them to work on only their assigned track independently, and simultaneously. Whew, sorry for the long winded post. Thanks in adance for any advice, Tom

Not sure I understand the problem. Is it that you can not get the two devices working at the same time? Or is it that both devices play the same instrument when used at the same time?

I'm not positive whether Sonar allows two midi ports simultaneously - I've never tried it myself. However, most midi devices have a "midi through" port which allows you plug both into the same sound card. IOW, you can chain them into the same midi port on one of the sound cards. Might be worth a try.

If the problem is the latter, you usually separate midi devices by assinging each to their own channel. Drums are usually assigned to channel 10. The keyboard can be assigned to any of the remaining 15 channels.

Hope this is of some help, but apologies in advance if I didn't really understand what you were asking.

Just a quick thought. If the problem is lodged somewhere in your aud.ini file, you can quickly check it out. Change the extension of aud. ini to aud.bak in Windows Explorer. Then relaunch Sonar. It will create a new aud.ini file. See if that changes anything.

If not, just delete the new aud.ini file and rename aud.bak to aud.ini.

I don't think this is likely to fix the problem, but it will only cost you 2 minutes of your time.

Back