midi and audio syncing in Cakewalk with Sound Blaster Live 5.1

aljordan

Hi,

I am using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.3 with a Sound Blaster Live 5.1. I am having a problem that I noticed others having when I searched the archives. Playing back midi alone works fine, and playing back audio alone works fine. When I try to record or playback the two together, I am getting a rediculous tempo speed up on the midi tracks.

I have followed the advice on the Cakewalk site and have "Wave out positioning for timing" selected but that doesn't effect the problem. I have also tried changing the "synchronization" choice under Audio options to no avail. Interestingly, when I record audio over some of the sample works that ship with Cakewalk, I have no problems at all. This leads me to believe that it might have something to do with the variety of soundfonts I am using. I have a number of midi channels each mapped to a specific soundfonts and the ports are set to the soundfont device. I am also using the standard mappings on a couple of midi tracks with the port set to "Creative S/W Synth". I am wondering if it might be different sampling rates for soundfonts that might be screwing up the midi playback.

Has anyone had this specific problem and found an answer?

Also, is it recommended to record within Cakewalk at 44.1khz or 48 khz with the Soundblaster Live card?

I can get around the problem by playing the midi tracks I want to bounce to audio in Cakewalk and record them to wave in Creative Wave Studio, apply effects, and then mix down only audio tracks (without midi) in Cakewalk, but that is a bit of a pain.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

aljordan

aljordan@gwi.net

I remember when I was setting my SB Live up that using the Creative S/W Synth was a no-no when used in a multitrack audio recording/MIDI environment... can't recall why. Try switching those tracks to use the the SB Live! MIDI Synth A or B.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately your suggestion didn't fix the problem. I am sure I will find out what is causing the problem before too long.

scratch scratch

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM FOR QUITE A WHILE, THEN MY BROTHER (WHO IS NOT A MUSICIAN ) HAD A SUGGESTION AND SOLVED MY PROBLEM.

IT SEEMED I HAD OTHER PROGRAMS INSTALLED THAT SEEMED TO CREATE A CONFLICT.

SO I HAD TO START FROM SCRATCH BY UNINSTALLING CAKEWALK AND REINSTALLING IT.

THIS FOR ME WASN'T DIFFICULT SINCE I ONLY HAD A FEW PROGRAMS INSTALLED AND NOW IS WORKING WITHOUT A GLITCH.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

WARI

Back