Loading Backup BUN files from Sonar 2 to Sonar 4

tttunes

Help! I want to access .bun files that were saved in Sonar 2, but I had upgraded to Sonar 4 and it will only go to 30% when trying to "update older format". Is there anything I can do to access these? I have moved on to another DAW software system and computer since recording these years ago and I want to export the WAVS I've archived to remix in my new system. Any help would be extremely appreciated! These are very sentimental files due to the fact that it is my daughter's CD who is now an invalid since battling brain cancer. THANK YOU!!

I haven't dealt with (or tried to open) any of my old bun files I still have around- in years.
Are you sure 'update older format' is a necessarily needed part of it?
All I remember is they 'loaded.. and it took a long time.

I have Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 which is based on Sonar 2 and is pretty much just like it except for the plugin limitations, If you want, I can try to open a bundle file for you, if it works okay I can setup a folder to share on Dropbox where you should be able to download a zip file containing the audio tracks.

I'm new to using Dropbox so the process may be little clunky at first, if you want me to try, see if you can upload 1 bundle file into this shared folder and I'll see if I can open it for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/nopovQyLyzovWUIJjotU

Help! I want to access .bun files that were saved in Sonar 2, but I had upgraded to Sonar 4 and it will only go to 30% when trying to "update older format". Is there anything I can do to access these? I have moved on to another DAW software system and computer since recording these years ago and I want to export the WAVS I've archived to remix in my new system. Any help would be extremely appreciated! These are very sentimental files due to the fact that it is my daughter's CD who is now an invalid since battling brain cancer. THANK YOU!!

If you've still got Sonar 2 kicking around, open the bun files in there and export your wavs directly.

I uploaded a file to your Dropbox. If you can open it, I need each track exported as a WAV, with track automation, but no FX. Thanks for trying!

You have Sonar 4, that's what you were using to try to open the bundle files right?

I opened the bundle and saved it using the "Per Project Audio Folders" option, then Zipped it, check your PMs, I'll PM you a link to the Zip file.

After downloading, extract the project folder into your "Cakewalk Projects" folder and then Sonar 4 should be able to open it, In Sonar 4's settings make sure to turn on "Use Per Project" audio folders in order to keep each project's audio files separate.

If it opens okay for you, let me know and we'll continue, I have the free Dropbox so there is a size limit on my account, 2 GB I think.

You can upload the next one anytime you're ready, or even 3 or so, if they're under 500 MB each.

Last edited:
There is one track labeled "Drum Loop" with no audio at all in it, but it does have some automation, there is also a track labeled "Claps" that actually has edited vocal parts in it.

There are no effects plugins at all in the project, not even on the auxes which are in use, I did not get any missing plugin warnings when the file opened, Hopefully that's how you left the project and it's not some possible corruption of the bundle file.

There is reverb printed onto some of the tracks.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I will try it tomorrow night when I am home!

QUOTE=Strryder;4414269]There is one track labeled "Drum Loop" with no audio at all in it, but it does have some automation, there is also a track labeled "Claps" that actually has edited vocal parts in it.

There are no effects plugins at all in the project, not even on the auxes which are in use, I did not get any missing plugin warnings when the file opened, Hopefully that's how you left the project and it's not some possible corruption of the bundle file.

There is reverb printed onto some of the tracks.[/QUOTE]

Hi!
The BUN files opened perfectly! Thank you! There's no need to export the individual WAVS. There are 10 other songs. Can you do a few of them at a time?
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

They're Ready.

Had a warning on one that said, "A corrupt audio region was detected and padded with silence"

I put a text document into the project folder for that one.

Back